Shires Michael Davis compatibility

Rusty

Shires Michael Davis compatibility

Post by Rusty »

I read Alex Iles recently commenting on the two XO Fedchock small horns, and how he preferred the 1632 slide (.500) on the 8 inch 1634 bell.

The Shires MD and MD+ horns are similar specs and based on a King 2b and 3b like the XOs. Has anyone tried matching the different bell and slide sections together? I play a MD+ (.508) and wondered how the bell would do with a MD .495 slide or another smaller Shires slide.
slidefunk

Re: Shires Michael Davis compatibility

Post by slidefunk »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all shires parts should fit together as long as you are fitting small bore to small bore, orchestral tenor to tenor etc. I'm fairly certain that the MD .495 slide will fit to the MD+ bell.

On a side note, J.J. Johnson used to do this with his Kings. He found he preferred a 2b slide coupled with a 3b bell.
griffinben

Post by griffinben »

Yes, the MD and MDP slides are interchangeable, as are all small bore tuning slides. Leadpipes need to fit the particular bore size: T95 (.495) for MD and T08 (.508) for MD+.

I have swapped around the slides and find the 7.5" MD bell to be a particularly compelling option with the MDP (.508) slide.
Oslide

Post by Oslide »

Usually it's the combination of a smaller bore slide with a larger bore bell that we hear about. It amazes me that you find a combo attractive where the slide-bell transition means a reduction in bore size. May I ask what you found so compelling compared to the other - including the normal - combinations?

Great to hear from you again! :hi:
Ceterum censeo to fetch All of TTF
griffinben

Post by griffinben »

Swapping between the MD 7 MDP sees no reduction in bore size, the neckpipes are the same (as is the tuning slide). The smaller bell, even the reduction of just a .25" makes a big difference in timbral density. It holds together a little better when you push the dynamics and responds like a smaller horn (on the back end of the blow).

It's a characterful sound with more emphasis on lower overtones but density that I find really appealing. It puts in mind of a Bach 6, let out a couple sizes. What I wish a Bach 16 felt like.
Oslide

Post by Oslide »

Oh, I see - thank you for explaining!
Ceterum censeo to fetch All of TTF

Return to “Instruments”