891z lacquer change?

RolandJBarber

891z lacquer change?

Post by RolandJBarber »

Hi, all.

Has the lacquer finish on the Yamaha 891z changed?
The last one I tried was at Midwest, and seemed gold tinted compared to an earlier purchased one...

Here it shows clear lacquer:
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical ... oduct-tabs

Here it shows gold lacquer:
https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/music ... specs.html

Anybody know when things may have changed?
tbonesullivan

Re: 891z lacquer change?

Post by tbonesullivan »

Many makers, even when using "clear lacquer" will add some tint to make the color look better. It also enhances the contrast between different metals.

The pictures for them look the same. I think the only way to really find out would be to ask someone at Yamaha directly.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

On my monitor, the color of the two instruments is identical.

There many variables in color processing, presentation, and perception. If you are seeing a color variation twixt the two photos, there is no conclusion to be drawn from it.
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

It's the same photo for both pages. Why are the description and the specs different for each page? Why bother with two different pages with basically the same info for the same horn? I'm guessing the editor or the proofreader said: "Good enough." and left it at that.

There isn't a world of difference between clear and lacquer finishes these days. There used to be more of a contrast decades ago, but a tinted finish then was very difficult to match up after repairs involving lacquer removal, so tinting went out of favor.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
mwpfoot

Post by mwpfoot »

My early model is a rich "gold" in most light, yet sometimes kinda "yellow".

It's such a fickle thing, and photography will tweak it one way or the other based on everything in the scene except the trombone.

:idk:
mwpfoot

Post by mwpfoot »

(I suspect it's _exactly_ the same as it ever was because that is my expectation with Yamaha-brand anything.)

Return to “Instruments”