Help identifying Olds trombone slides?

JimG17

Help identifying Olds trombone slides?

Post by JimG17 »

Hello all! Long time reader, first time poster.

I recently found some neglected olds trombones from a man who had a hoard of old instruments - most of them were student models, but I managed to dig an Olds Studio and Olds Special out of the mix. I bought multiple slides from him as well as I didn't know at the time what slides matched the bell sections. I matched the special as its completely nickel and easy to identify, but I'm left with what seems like two almost identical olds slides and no way to find which one is the original slide for the Studio horn (the bell section has no serial numbers).

Both slides have a longer serial number near the threading, and then a three digit number (example 689 or 708) on the hand brace. What is the distinction between the two numbers? Specifically, what do the three digit numbers mean? Does anyone have any knowledge of this? Any tips on how to match which slide is right for the bell section? (There might be a chance I didn't even grab the right slides, he had more than 20 slides and only a handful of bell sections that weren't junked).

I appreciate any and all advice! Thank you,

Jim
Doug Elliott

Re: Help identifying olds trombone slides?

Post by Doug Elliott »

JohnL is our resident Olds expert, hopefully he will see this.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
BGuttman

Re: Help identifying Olds trombone slides?

Post by BGuttman »

It's easy to separate the student slides: they all have oval braces. Higher models have round braces.

If you have a slide with a multifaceted inner (duo-octagonal) it's from a higher end instrument.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JimG17

Re: Help identifying olds trombone slides?

Post by JimG17 »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:59 am JohnL is our resident Olds expert, hopefully he will see this.
Thank you, that is helpful information. I hope I get a chance to hear from him.

On a side note, I love your work! Astounding craftsmanship and very user-friendly explanations on your website. I have been experimenting with a borrowed set of XT series cups and shanks lately. I'd be very excited to meet you one day and try some more of your products.

-Jim
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Does your Studio bell have a nickel silver bell flare and braces that are round on one end and flared/flattened on the other?

If so, the correct slide would have a similar brace between the cork barrels. The other brace would be round for its entire length, and probably one piece. The inners would be round rather than the duo-octagonal ones used on Supers and Recordings.

The three-digit number on the outer slide should match the last three digits of serial number at the tenon joint.

Other possible Olds slides would be:
Super: Nickel silver outers, duo-octagonal inners, nickel silver braces flared at both ends.
Recording: Nickel silver outers (high-copper brass on the first couple years of production); duo-octagonal inners, braces are three pieces - two flared ends made of nickel silver, with a center section made of high-copper brass.
Special: Yellow brass outers, round inners, braces are round.
Ambassador: Yellow brass outers, round inners, cork barrel brace has a flattened oval over its entire length. Early Ambassador slides have a similar brace on the outer slide, but most of them have a one-piece round brace.
Last edited by JohnL on Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arrowhead

Post by Arrowhead »

The three digit number on the outer slide brace is sometimes just the last 3 numbers of the serial number on the slide. I'm not sure if it has any particular meaning, other than a chronological match in the assembly process.

Return to “Instruments”