Does Dillons accept offers?

Amconk

Does Dillons accept offers?

Post by Amconk »

Will they haggle on pricing for used instruments, or are they priced as marked? I’m not local, but they have a used horn I’m interested in, and before I called and made an offer, I wanted to see if anyone who dealt with them before was able to negotiate a price.

Michael
Michael Conkey
Southern Oregon Trombonist

-Besson Be944 Sovereign with Hagmann
-Holton TR-140 “monster” valve
-Modified Schiller 7B clone
-King 4B with custom bell
-Jin Bao Alto
fsgazda

Re: Does Dillons accept offers?

Post by fsgazda »

If it is on consignment they might listen to an offer (I have sold things through them and in additional to your asking price they ask "what is the lowest price that you'll accept?") It's worth a shot.
Frank S. Gazda
Professor of Music, Delaware State University
Freelance Low Brass, Mid-Atlantic
www.firststatebrass.com
Bonephilly

Post by Bonephilly »

Fsgazda is correct. Most horns on consignment have a hidden lowest price that the seller will accept.
Arthurtwoshedsjackson

Post by Arthurtwoshedsjackson »

I’ve sold a number of horns via consignment at Dillon. Each had an asking price with ‘wiggle room’ at -$100. They’ve all sold for asking. I guess you’d have to ask if a particular item is on consignment. I don’t know if they’ll entertain offers on store-owned horns. It can’t hurt to ask.
It’s just an ordinary garden shed.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Be a bit wary of how things are advertised on Dillon's website. I think Steve Dillon is a great guy and he runs a very unique and special business. However, most of the horns are described in ways that understate the wear and tear that the instruments have endured. For example, if an instrument says "some inner slide wear" you can bet on there being a significant amount of slide wear.

The original poster should haggle.....most of the "used" instruments are overpriced by about 10-15%, be the instrument a consignment or used stock. Sorry Dillon's! I love your store and have bought instruments from you, but I feel that much of your used inventory is priced too high.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
ChadA

Post by ChadA »

I've bought 2 used horns from them that I thought were fairly priced and accurately described in terms of condition. Again, just my experience, and I'm sure others have had other experiences. Mileage always varies.

In the past, I've asked for and received extra pictures of horns I've been interested in. It helped me feel more comfortable about the 2 I bought.
Amconk

Post by Amconk »

So I’ve been in communication with Dillons, and while they were willing to entertain offers, we weren’t able to come to an agreement, so I didn’t buy the horn. But for future reference, yes, they will at least consider a lower offer.
Michael Conkey
Southern Oregon Trombonist

-Besson Be944 Sovereign with Hagmann
-Holton TR-140 “monster” valve
-Modified Schiller 7B clone
-King 4B with custom bell
-Jin Bao Alto
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:16 am Be a bit wary of how things are advertised on Dillon's website. I think Steve Dillon is a great guy and he runs a very unique and special business. However, most of the horns are described in ways that understate the wear and tear that the instruments have endured. For example, if an instrument says "some inner slide wear" you can bet on there being a significant amount of slide wear.

The original poster should haggle.....most of the "used" instruments are overpriced by about 10-15%, be the instrument a consignment or used stock. Sorry Dillon's! I love your store and have bought instruments from you, but I feel that much of your used inventory is priced too high.
For the most part I agree. The impression I get is they are amazing in person but their online storefront isn't the best. Their photos can leave a lot to be desired.

That said I've purchased two horns from them over the years. I purchased my first bass trombone (a TR180) with them and the online ad described the horn as being lightly used. What actually showed up at my doorstep was an ex school horn that was pretty beat up. The second horn I purchased from them was a E185 with a bird nest valve which was also described as lightly used. What I actually got was a cherry mint horn with next to no wear. Two completely opposite experiences for two horns described the same

If you're buying online with them I strongly suggest giving them a call or shooting them an email. They are great people when you get to speak to them but their website isn't always the best.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

I mostly agree on the assessments on Dillon's. Since I am less than an hour away, I visit several times a year and rarely look at their website. I have bought several horns from them, and have also sold on consignment. I also recommend students go there to pick a horn out, and for repairs and supplies.
I think the discrepancy on the descriptions is due to the particular person who is working the day a horn comes in. I have never had the impression that flaws are deliberately overlooked, or they are deliberately over-rated. I have generally been satisfied with their description of my horn, good and bad, and their suggestion on the price. However, what if a seller were to insist on the condition being overrated? I don't have an answer to that.
Here's why I do not believe their horns are overpriced, although I realize a better "deal" can often be found from a private sale. (Again - my perspective is based in being there in-person)
1) Their huge selection! You can try out countless new and used horns back-to-back, with no pressure. If you want feedback, there will be someone there to provide it. And if you buy one but change your mind a week later, they accept returns. (10 days?) Dillon has some horns that have been on the wall for years, not bringing in $.
2) If you buy one used, it is cleaned and prepped before you leave the store. I assume this is also done before it is shipped. I have heard the staff spend as much as a half-hour with middle and H.S. aged students, making sure they know how to properly clean and maintain their new instrument. Priceless!
3) If you buy accessories, say mutes, or a case, you can check out a large variety for proper fit. I'm pretty sure the staff would do it for you if you need it shipped, since they have most makes and models right there at their disposal.
4) Steve Dillon supports local musical groups.
I have no financial connection to Dillon's, but have been a satisfied customer for years.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Mamaposaune wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:29 am I mostly agree on the assessments on Dillon's. Since I am less than an hour away, I visit several times a year and rarely look at their website. I have bought several horns from them, and have also sold on consignment. I also recommend students go there to pick a horn out, and for repairs and supplies.
I think the discrepancy on the descriptions is due to the particular person who is working the day a horn comes in. I have never had the impression that flaws are deliberately overlooked, or they are deliberately over-rated. I have generally been satisfied with their description of my horn, good and bad, and their suggestion on the price. However, what if a seller were to insist on the condition being overrated? I don't have an answer to that.
Here's why I do not believe their horns are overpriced, although I realize a better "deal" can often be found from a private sale. (Again - my perspective is based in being there in-person)
1) Their huge selection! You can try out countless new and used horns back-to-back, with no pressure. If you want feedback, there will be someone there to provide it. And if you buy one but change your mind a week later, they accept returns. (10 days?) Dillon has some horns that have been on the wall for years, not bringing in $.
2) If you buy one used, it is cleaned and prepped before you leave the store. I assume this is also done before it is shipped. I have heard the staff spend as much as a half-hour with middle and H.S. aged students, making sure they know how to properly clean and maintain their new instrument. Priceless!
3) If you buy accessories, say mutes, or a case, you can check out a large variety for proper fit. I'm pretty sure the staff would do it for you if you need it shipped, since they have most makes and models right there at their disposal.
4) Steve Dillon supports local musical groups.
I have no financial connection to Dillon's, but have been a satisfied customer for years.
That has been my experience as well - I completely agree with this assessment,

Jim Scott
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Hi everyone! I think it is good that people are defending Dillon's......I did not want to start a heated debate. Like I stated, I believe Dillon's is very unique and special store. There are so few stores like it in the world. Prior to the pandemic, I would take a road trip from Maryland to Dillon's (in New Jersey) at least once a year to see if they had something that catches my attention. I look forward to going there again when the pandemic is behind us.

Dillon's is a successful business and they have a large inventory, great marketing and a excellent staff. However, those luxuries do add up to a high overhead and I think it shows in the prices. I don't mind paying a higher price if I get a premium product. Does Dillon's offer that....absolutely yes! I think many of the items they sell are very special, rare and collectable.

The instruments that I bought at Dillon's were purchased when I visited the store in person. They are wonderful horns and I believe that very few places could offer "vintage instruments" like them. However, I have purchased a couple of instruments from the website and ended up returning them because I did not feel they were of the structural quality that I expected (based on the website description). I have also had several students who have bought instruments from the Dillon's website and ended up returning those instruments for similar reasons.

I think it would be appropriate to update my advisory: I highly recommend that you GO TO THE STORE in Woodbridge, NJ and try the instruments in person. If an instrument does not strike your fancy, you can put right back on the wall! I don't think that helps the original poster because he is from Oregon. It is good advice for anyone living in the mid-Atlantic or northeastern USA.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Arthurtwoshedsjackson

Post by Arthurtwoshedsjackson »

It’s also an easy trip from NYC and elsewhere via NJ Transit. The shop is a short walk from the Woodbridge station. I’m lucky to live 15 min away. 8-)

Re: overrated/overpriced consignment horns
I haven’t given much input and believe they’ve been accurate re: descriptions and suggested prices of/for horns I’ve sold on consignment. They obviously know the market and I trust them. Minimum consignment price is $695. I’ve had horns that, upon consultation, we decided couldn’t realistically meet that threshold and then sold them on my own or gave them away.
It’s just an ordinary garden shed.

Return to “Instruments”