Bach 16 vs 16M slide markings

HBack

Bach 16 vs 16M slide markings

Post by HBack »

Hello:

I have been wondering about how to identify a Bach 16 vs. 16M slide. I have seen some slides marked with the serial Number, then below it Model 16 M - Somewhat like this:

Model
M

But recently, I have seen some newer Bachs being sold as "16 M" with a slide marking that does not have the "M" - Like this:

Model

Have they changed the way they mark the slide, but these are still "16M" models?

In each case, the bell still is marked "Model 16M"

I just want to be sure I am actually getting a 16M slide (.509) and not the dual bore 16 (.495/509).

Thanks for any advice!
CalgaryTbone

Re: Bach 16 vs 16M slide markings

Post by CalgaryTbone »

You can easily tell if it's a dual bore - you won't be able to put the top outside slide on to the lower inside slide. If it's a 16M, you should be able to switch the outer slide and place it over either inner slide.

Jim Scott
HBack

Post by HBack »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:04 am You can easily tell if it's a dual bore - you won't be able to put the top outside slide on to the lower inside slide. If it's a 16M, you should be able to switch the outer slide and place it over either inner slide.

Jim Scott
Thank you Jim! I don't know why I didn't think of that - great practical advice - exactly what I was looking for! I appreciate your taking the time!!!
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

Now, on this subject, I am trying a Bach Lt16GM, at least that's how I am calling it. It's a '71-'72 model year. The bell is simply marked 16. It is gold brass but not marked 'g'. the slide has an M on it and is single bore. What gooseneck does it have ?

Chris
DaveAshley

Post by DaveAshley »

The material *should* tell the story.
I believe there have only been two different production slides made for the 16 - The original dual bore in brass and the Watrous model straight .509 in nickel. I guess they can/could be special ordered with either material, but I don't recall ever seeing one.
Normally, the bell section of the Watrous model has a more open gooseneck, giving the horn the "16M" designation and stamp. I've only owned one 16, and it was a straight bore slide with the standard gooseneck bell. The bell was only marked 16, and the slide was marked 16M.
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

Thanks Dave.
Chris
HBack

Post by HBack »

DaveAshley wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:05 am The material *should* tell the story.
I believe there have only been two different production slides made for the 16 - The original dual bore in brass and the Watrous model straight .509 in nickel. I guess they can/could be special ordered with either material, but I don't recall ever seeing one.
Normally, the bell section of the Watrous model has a more open gooseneck, giving the horn the "16M" designation and stamp. I've only owned one 16, and it was a straight bore slide with the standard gooseneck bell. The bell was only marked 16, and the slide was marked 16M.
Thanks Dave! To follow up, I see that newer Bach 16M models definitely have the "M" on the bell marking, but I am unsure about the slides.

I have seen a newer "alleged" 16M for sale that had the "M" on the bell, but the slide only had "16" - and was in brass, which actually is what led to me asking the initial question in this post. I'm wondering if Bach has changed things up in recent times.

Another wrinkle to the question - you mentioned that the 16M slides all seemed to be nickel, while the dual 16 slides were brass. I had an LT 16M many years ago - with a nickel slide. LT meaning lightweight slide... I'm wondering if the LT 16Ms were nickel, and perhaps there were some "regular weight" 16M slides in brass? Or...were there "regular" weight 16M slides in nickel as well? Are they stamped with an LT, or is the nickel 16M just already an "LT" by default?

Now I am really wondering if the horn I saw without the M on the slide marking is actually just a mismatched 16 slide with a 16M bell....
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

My '90s 16M is marked 16M on the bell, single bore LT slide is marked 16 only.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
HBack

Post by HBack »

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:07 pm My '90s 16M is marked 16M on the bell, single bore LT slide is marked 16 only.
Thanks for posting and adding to the info!

Return to “Instruments”