Rotary valve trombones

Arthurtwoshedsjackson

Rotary valve trombones

Post by Arthurtwoshedsjackson »

My sliding days are over due to physical limitations and I make do with a rotary valve cornet, which is fun enough.

Can anyone provide a review of a recent model 3 or 4 rotary valve tenor trombone? I see that current manufacturers include Miraphone, K&H and Cerveny.

I’m play alone for fun 99% of the time and don’t need to worry about blending with other instruments, except possibly the occasional piano. A bass trumpet would be too front-heavy to hold comfortably, especially with a mute.

Thanks.
It’s just an ordinary garden shed.
MStarke

Re: Rotary valve trombones

Post by MStarke »

Not directly answering your question, but...

Assuming that the mentioned physical limitations are not only fast movement of the right arm, but also e.g. shoulder issues holding the trombone, have you considered a baritone or euphonium?
They can be relatively easy to hold when sitting or using a stand.
A euphonium may have more use when playing with others, but this obviously depends on the settings you may be playing on.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
Arthurtwoshedsjackson

I have shoulder issues as well as hearing damage (hyperacusis & tinnitus; right ear is much worse), which I attribute to many years of playing bell-up euphonium. Ear plugs, even audiologist-fitted, no longer help and may have made things worse. I’ve tried all sorts of horn-practice mute combinations and the rotary cornet is the best solution so far as it’s easy to hold and sounds decent muted. I do miss the tenor trombone range, so I’m exploring other/additional options.

Any rotary valve trombone would be very expensive, so I’m not sure it would be cost effective in the end. It might, however, be cool enough to justify. :shuffle:

Thanks!
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Heres an idea for you. A friend of mine had a set of euph valves built by Robb Stewart to attach to a trombone bell section. Sounds fantastic, and no slide. In his case its made for a bass bell section.
Last edited by LIBrassCo on Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
Arthurtwoshedsjackson

I’ve actually thought about having something custom built that’s sits in the floor with a height adjustment and the bell as far away as possible.

Perhaps a tenor cimbasso. Or a tenorenophone(!).

Thanks!
Goten56

Post by Goten56 »

http://www.vfcerveny.cz/en/rotary-valve ... asso-style
I think this can be OK for you. But it won't be cheap.
djkennedy

Post by djkennedy »

Germany made rotary v trombones are
Interesting
More towards French Horn
Valve section is quite heavy
So some type of floor stand or support
Would be nice
I used mine in concert band
They aren’t blasting horns
Big thin bells euro shank
Mpc
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

Goten56 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:06 am http://www.vfcerveny.cz/en/rotary-valve ... asso-style
I think this can be OK for you. But it won't be cheap.
And make sure to get the 5 valve version. From experience with my 5 valve Eb tuba against my 4 valve Eb tuba, I assure you you will need less lipping up and down, less pulling slides, which is more convenient on a tuba than on a cimbasso, and more and easier valve combinations, as you can substitute 24 with 235 as a better in tune combination. Plus a perfect in tune 54 for the low range. It is really worth the extra cost.
Lornix

Post by Lornix »

If you are really looking for tenor cimbasso and have money for a high-end custom instrument - you might want to check out the work of Michael Johnson at http://m-j-c.co.uk/instruments/index.html. I have no personal experience with these instruments - but he does appear to offer cimbasso in "High Bb" - so same range as tenor trombone.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Arthurtwoshedsjackson

The Voigt looks pretty cool, but the bell and leadpipe angles seem weird, assuming it’s intended to be played with the bottom crook resting on the floor. :idk:
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

I saw some mentions of Cerveny instruments above.

I thought I‘d read somewhere that the parent company (Amati) was going through an insolvency process. As I recall, some (maybe all? I don’t know) Cerveny designs may be continued under the Lidl name.

I‘ll try and dig out the link, it was on a German-speaking music forum.

Some users had posted that there are some good deals to be had on the old stock of Cerveny, and that the ‚new‘ Lidl-branded ones may be more expensive.

So basically, if my sources are correct, now may be a good time to buy if you‘re keen on Cerveny.
Goten56

Post by Goten56 »

The insolvency process was a hoax. Amati and Cerveny still produce instruments. Watch their websites.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Goten56 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:12 am The insolvency process was a hoax. Amati and Cerveny still produce instruments. Watch their websites.
Thanks for sharing that! I was fooled by this hoax then.

Not sure why someone would have come up with it, answers on a postcard please. About the only thing it could achieve is to drive some short-term sales and annoy some customers once they realize it was a hoax?

Return to “Instruments”