White ring Bach artisan A47I

Beeethoven

White ring Bach artisan A47I

Post by Beeethoven »

Hi all,

I’m currently trying a Bach A47I artisan but struggling with the grip of my left hand. That said, I saw on several pictures a white ring attached which is not present at mine; I wonder if this meant for better grip?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BGuttman

Re: White ring Bach artisan A47I

Post by BGuttman »

That ring is to prevent the bell nut from damaging the lacquer during shipping. It should be removed during setup.

If this is your first F-attachment you are probably used to putting your thumb around the bell brace, which you can't do on this instrument. You have to learn a different way to hold the horn. If you need it, there are grip aids like the Ax Handle that can substitute for the "missing" bell brace.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Beeethoven

Post by Beeethoven »

Hi Bruce,

thanks for your reply! No, it is not my first. Somehow, the lever to put your thumb, is more close to the bell then at the other trombones. I cannot explain it very well here, but I cannot find a comfortable pose with my left hand , it doesn't feel natural without applying quit some tension. I read something about the Edwards bullet brace, do you have experience with that and would that possibly solve my problem?
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

Beeethoven wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:38 am Hi Bruce,

thanks for your reply! No, it is not my first. Somehow, the lever to put your thumb, is more close to the bell then at the other trombones. I cannot explain it very well here, but I cannot find a comfortable pose with my left hand , it doesn't feel natural without applying quit some tension. I read something about the Edwards bullet brace, do you have experience with that and would that possibly solve my problem?
I think the trigger on the A47I is adjustable. Did you try that?
TriJim

Post by TriJim »

I have a Bach A47MLR; similar design with a different valve. I carry most of the weight of the trombone on the 'beefy' part of the palm, just below the thumb, and wrap my left-hand fingers around the slide tube. The fingers help to stabilize the trombone on the palm/hand/beefy part of the thumb. The actual left-hand thumb has almost no function in holding the trombone and is used primarily to activate the trigger.

I had some hand discomfort and fatigue the first couple weeks after I bought the horn, but eventually adapted and have no problems holding it for a long rehearsal.

You might try different slide/bell angles to see if this will help balance the weight of the horn on your hand and not require 'grip' with your thumb. Good luck and let us know what works.
Beeethoven

Post by Beeethoven »

@JCBone: thanks for the tip, i didn't try this yet because of the silly reason that I only own metrix torx and no imperial ones ;) But I'll try once I have one!
@TriJim: That's indeed how I play now, and I wondered if it's a matter of getting used to. Sounds that this can be the case! First I have to buy it ;)
Beeethoven

Post by Beeethoven »

TriJim wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:52 am You might try different slide/bell angles
I always use 90 degrees, just curious if you guys use different angles?

Gr, Jan
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

Beeethoven wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:05 am
TriJim wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:52 am You might try different slide/bell angles
I always use 90 degrees, just curious if you guys use different angles?

Gr, Jan
I do about 80 degrees. Look up Peter Steiner, a phenomenal player. He does 100 degrees. From my experience, it's pretty unusual to do more then 90 but everybody is different. Since the trigger is too close to the bell you should probably try reducing the angle and see if that helps.
If the 47 is unbearbly uncomfortable then you might want to think twice before purchasing it. Of course it could also just be a matter of getting used to it.
Beeethoven

Post by Beeethoven »

@JCBone: thanks. Yes, I agree, on the other hand it fits so incedibly well with my playing, it's a depressing reason not to buy it :P
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

Beeethoven wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:27 am @JCBone: thanks. Yes, I agree, on the other hand it fits so incedibly well with my playing, it's a depressing reason not to buy it :P
Well try adjusting the trigger and reducing the slide angle. Worst case scenerio you could probably get the trigger modified to be more confortable.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Beeethoven wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:27 am @JCBone: thanks. Yes, I agree, on the other hand it fits so incedibly well with my playing, it's a depressing reason not to buy it :P
The trigger setup on this instrument is adjustable. Move it around! It's probably just in the wrong place.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
UncleJenny

Post by UncleJenny »

Another way is to hold your trombone without additional tension is with the slide brace between your middle and ring finger. This way your thumb gets closer to the valve lever.
It takes time to get used to, but maybe worth trying.

Saw this on Doug Yeo’s website years ago and have been holding my quite heavy Shires bass without any problems since.

http://www.yeodoug.com/resources/faq/fa ... nsion.html
Last edited by UncleJenny on Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Beeethoven »

WoW! Thanks for this resource, very helpful! I’ll try this :)
Beeethoven

Post by Beeethoven »

Thanks guys, reducing the angle to about 80 degrees and tilt it somewhat to the right reduces a lot of tension in my left hand. Seems that I will be soon the owner of a Bach A47I :)
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

Beeethoven wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:08 pm Thanks guys, reducing the angle to about 80 degrees and tilt it somewhat to the right reduces a lot of tension in my left hand. Seems that I will be soon the owner of a Bach A47I :)
Yeah 80 degrees is considered the standard. Congrats on your new horn. I have heard that the A47 is one of the best in the market.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Beeethoven wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:08 pm Thanks guys, reducing the angle to about 80 degrees and tilt it somewhat to the right reduces a lot of tension in my left hand. Seems that I will be soon the owner of a Bach A47I :)
Did you adjust the linkage? There's a few points you can just use an allen key and move it to where you want.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher

Return to “Instruments”