Lead pipe threads

Chatname

Lead pipe threads

Post by Chatname »

Do all instrument brands use different threads for lead pipes, or are some compatible? Which ones?
Does anyone know whether M&W uses the same threads as any of the other brands?
Burgerbob

Re: Lead pipe threads

Post by Burgerbob »

Edwards, Getzen and Conn are the same. Shires is a different pitch.

In any case, you can get a ring from Instrument Innovations that will fit a different brand, no big deal.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Chatname wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:26 pm Do all instrument brands use different threads for lead pipes, or are some compatible? Which ones?
Does anyone know whether M&W uses the same threads as any of the other brands?
Matthew Walker from M&W is on this Forum. Ask him.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

The threaded leadpipe receivers on M&W slides will accept both Edwards and Shires collar threads.

BTW. Edwards and Conn are the same thread pitch, but are different diameter, with the Conn being larger than Edwards. This means an Edwards collar will screw into a Conn receiver, but will be loose. Conn does not fit into Edwards.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

hornbuilder wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:05 pm The threaded leadpipe receivers on M&W slides will accept both Edwards and Shires collar threads.

BTW. Edwards and Conn are the same thread pitch, but are different diameter, with the Conn being larger than Edwards. This means an Edwards collar will screw into a Conn receiver, but will be loose. Conn does not fit into Edwards.
Is it time for the "trombone industry" to standardize?
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Instrument Innovations makes a bi-threaded collar that can accommodate Shires, Edwards, Conn and several other threads.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
novalvz

Post by novalvz »

Are the Kanstul threaded small shank leadpipes interchangeable with those of another maker?
jbeatenbough

Post by jbeatenbough »

Kanstul small bore leadpipes are threaded M16x1.5mm
John

Tenor:
King 2B Silvertone-DW 12CS
Shires 1Y,T47,Dual Valve-DW 6BL
Shires 7YLW screw bell, T08-25YC-DW 6BS
Kanstul 1555-DW 6BS

Alto:
Thomann TEB480L-Schilke 45B

Trumpet:
King Liberty Silvertone AB-Schilke M2C
King 600-Bach 7C
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Posaunus wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:35 pm
hornbuilder wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:05 pm The threaded leadpipe receivers on M&W slides will accept both Edwards and Shires collar threads.

Is it time for the "trombone industry" to standardize?
I would agree that having universal thread pitches and other similar "standardized" parts would be nice. However, most corporations are looking for you (the customer) to use their product(s) exclusively. To make the parts all the same would not help build brand loyalty. Besides, when the parts are all different measurements, it gives the different brands very unique playing characteristics. Believe it or not, the slightest change in the weight of a leadpipe collar or the threaded housing that holds it will change something about the sound and feel in the instrument.

Kudos to Matt at M&W for making his horns compatible with two brands that are widely used! Also....kudos to Instrument Innovations for designing the bi-thread leadpipe collar parts!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

From my perspective, when I was in the early stages of messing about with horns and trying all sorts of stuff out, leadpipes were some of the most obvious things to experiment with. But having to deal with different leadpipe threads/collars was a hurdle to overcome in doing so.

When the M&W horns were being designed, we saw that the Bi-Thread receiver would eliminate much of that issue. So, instead of using yet another thread spec. which would only muddy the waters further, we figured why not facilitate the chance to "cross-pollinate" that specific area.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

novalvz wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:10 pm Are the Kanstul threaded small shank leadpipes interchangeable with those of another maker?
Yes. Shires leadpipes will swap with Kanstul.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Aren't we all glad that trombone mouthpiece shanks eventually became standardized into two basic sizes / tapers?

This change triggered an amazing amount of innovation on the part of small mouthpiece manufacturers, which they probably would not have undertaken if each instrument manufacturer had maintained separate mouthpiece specifications! :idk:

[N.B.: High Pitch vs Low Pitch; Mouthpieces from Olds, Reynolds, Conn, various European manufacturers, ... ]
Nobbi

Post by Nobbi »

I have to apologize to you guys .... when I first read this thread I thought "sure guys, tell me more, a little bit of different metal and it changes all?"
It DOES change a whole lot.
Just received two new horns to test against the Conn 4h and the owner of one horn sent me a Kanstul W6 leadpipe with it to hear the difference to the original leadpipe .... unbelievable! BIG difference (unfortunately he want's it back when I buy the horn).
novalvz

Post by novalvz »

CharlieB wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:14 pm
novalvz wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:10 pm Are the Kanstul threaded small shank leadpipes interchangeable with those of another maker?
Yes. Shires leadpipes will swap with Kanstul.
Thank you!
Gfactor

Post by Gfactor »

Yamaha threads for the 897z and 891z are M15x1.0.

Return to “Instruments”