Shires dual bore valves

Chatname

Shires dual bore valves

Post by Chatname »

Does anyone know what the differences between Shires’ dual bore valve and their newer Ralph Sauer dual bore are? It just says smaller on their homepage. Much smaller? Specs? Has anyone compared them?
Burgerbob

Re: Shires dual bore valves

Post by Burgerbob »

Pretty sure it's just the dual-bore valve, smaller relative to the normal rotor.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

So the difference would be the size of the rotor itself, not in the bore?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I'm still not certain of your question... the Sauer model comes with the dual bore valve and doesn't have a specific one just for that model, as far as I know.

https://www.seshires.com/trombonevalves
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

“ A new, smaller diameter, dual-bore rotary valve is fast and lightweight, and maintains the bore’s cross-sectional area through the valve.” From their homepage. It sounds like it’s different, but maybe I misunderstand?
Thank you for helping out, by the way!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

It's different from their standard rotor, yes. Smaller in exterior size. I'm not sure how the inside has changed, never been able to take one apart.

The Sauer models play very well, I've played 3 or 4 at this point. I wouldn't mind one!

I think this valve also comes on the Colin Williams model, and it's good on that too.
tombone21

Post by tombone21 »

The dual bore valve increases in port diameter along the air path, if that makes sense. The exit port diameter is slightly larger than the entry port. Overall, a smaller valve. The Colin Williams model comes with the standard, larger rotor valve with chamfered edges in the core. The wraps on the two are the same, though.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

tombone21 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:19 pm The dual bore valve increases in port diameter along the air path, if that makes sense. The exit port diameter is slightly larger than the entry port. Overall, a smaller valve. The Colin Williams model comes with the standard, larger rotor valve with chamfered edges in the core. The wraps on the two are the same, though.
Interesting. The one I played at NAMM 2020 (that was a year ago??) said dual bore, or so I thought.
Arvopart17

Post by Arvopart17 »

It’s a great valve, I own the Sauer model and it’s definitely the dual bore valve. It’s got a really short throw and I feel like it’s slightly more efficient than a standard rotor. I heard a Shires rep say you think of Axial on one end of the spectrum and dual bore on the other from a blow perspective, but that doesn’t mean it’s stuffy. I’m not exactly sure what the technical difference is inside, and I’m probably not telling you anything you don’t already know :D - but I really like the way it plays for me, I feel like the horn just sings.
tombone21

Post by tombone21 »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:24 pm
Interesting. The one I played at NAMM 2020 (that was a year ago??) said dual bore, or so I thought.
We're probably both right. I've seen loads of configurations with the Shires artist bells, especially at trade shows.
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

That’s a relief. I ordered a dual bore valve a while ago that is arriving soon (will use it with a .525/.547 slide, 2RVET7 bell). Then I got confused and thought maybe there are two different dual bore valves in existence: The standard and a new smaller one for RS. That’s why I asked here. Thank you for your answers!
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

The wrap looks the same, but the tubing also gets larger somewhere in the middle of the dual bore valve section.
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

Thank you Gabriel, that’s kind of what I suspected. Good to know!

Return to “Instruments”