Lawler vs. Shires small bore

Mikebmiller

Lawler vs. Shires small bore

Post by Mikebmiller »

I know there was a long discussion of Lawler trombones on the old site, but alas, that seems to be no more.

I had a chance to play the Shires MD + a couple of years ago and just fell in love with that horn. The only problem is that it is $3,500. Well that, and nobody seems to have one right now. I live about 3 hours from the Lawler shop in TN and was thinking about taking a drive up there one day to try out his horns. His full setup with 2 bell flares and a case runs $2,600. Any thoughts on the build quality of a Lawler vs. a Shires? They both seem like fantastic horns.
Matt K
Verified

Re: Lawler vs. Shires small bore

Post by Matt K »

Not played a Lawler. The MD+ is on my bucket list of horns to get though. I can't even fathom a horn that works better for me! But I suppose it's possible. I've also heard some really good things about Lawler.
dembones

Post by dembones »

I strongly suggest you make the drive to visit the Lawler shop. I've had mine for over a year now. I was previously playing a Rath and have never looked back. The build quality is fantastic, and the design is like a piece of art. More importantly, the horn plays incredibly well - beautiful tone, fantastic response throughout the full range of the instrument, fantastic slide, perfectly balanced.

With the ability to switch flares, you can make subtle yet definitely noticeable tweaks to tone and response. At the shop you would be able to try all of the configurations. I bought mine over the phone, Roy spent a lot of time with me figuring out what would work for me. He now has dual-bore and .508 bore options, as well as offering the Butler carbon fiber slide. A year ago he only had the .500 slide, but it works beautifully for me.

Roy seems to be in this for the love of it, as reflected by his prices. I don't think anything compares when considering quality vs. price. He's a really friendly guy, you'd definitely want to call him and set up a time with him.

Good luck!
Don Mikkelsen
jej

Post by jej »

Dembones, what options did you select for your Lawler?
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I got to looking at the map and realized I am actually more like 5-6 hours away. For some reason I was thinking he was near Knoxville, but he is actually closer to Nashville. But - I am driving to Memphis next month. Do y'all think my wife would mind if we took a 100 mile detour for me to look at trombones that I probably don't really need?
tbathras

Post by tbathras »

Mikebmiller wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:57 am I got to looking at the map and realized I am actually more like 5-6 hours away. For some reason I was thinking he was near Knoxville, but he is actually closer to Nashville. But - I am driving to Memphis next month. Do y'all think my wife would mind if we took a 100 mile detour for me to look at trombones that I probably don't really need?
We were on vacation in the Berkshires in Mass a few years ago. I decided that made Woodbridge, NJ pretty close compared to home, so I took a "side trip" to Dillon's :biggrin: That was about 200 miles... one way.
--
Bass Trombone
Casco Bay Wind Symphony
dembones

Post by dembones »

jej: I got a red brass .022 bell stem, and ended up with a .022 7.5" red brass flare and a .025 8" yellow brass flare, that I use on loud gigs. Brass ultra-lightweight slide. I'd actually recommend starting off with Roy's "suggested set-up" configuration as he states on his website. Roy will swap out parts with you after purchase if you're not sure.

tbathras: Hey I live in the Berkshires - Great Barrington MA. Look me up if you're ever passing through again!

Cheers
Don Mikkelsen
tbathras

Post by tbathras »

dembones wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:30 am tbathras: Hey I live in the Berkshires - Great Barrington MA. Look me up if you're ever passing through again!

Cheers
Very pretty area indeed. Will do!
--
Bass Trombone
Casco Bay Wind Symphony
cctbone

Post by cctbone »

Had a .500 Lawler ..,, L5 I think? 7.5 bell...about the brightest horn I’ve ever played... strong slot! A bit too slotty for my tastes.., great slide
rwallace7

Post by rwallace7 »

I started out with the basic Lawler set up, red brass stem and tuning slide, nickel goose neck, and lightweight 8” yellow flare, #5 leadpipe with.405 Venturi. My other flare was a medium weight 7 1/2” red flare that I didn’t particularly care for. With Roy’s help I was able to trade out the red flare for a 7 3/4” lightweight yellow flare. My favorite is still the 8” flare. I also purchased his ultra lightweight brass slide in a dual bore.500/.508 with a curved nickel crook. He also customized it by making the crook and slide 1/4” wider, almost like a wide glide. It’s unbelievably fast without going carbon fiber. I can’t say enough good about Roy Lawler. He really cares about his customers and is just a terrific person. He knows his stuff too.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

I've heard nothing but good things about both his instruments and himself. I'd love to try one, particularly the Big Boy.

Maybe I'll try to find a used one and throw an interesting valve on it.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I set up an appointment to see him in the middle of May.
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

And Roy is a great guy to deal with.
Steve
DakoJack

Post by DakoJack »

Hold up 2,600 for a horn with the case and TWO bell flares thats an amazing price I definitley need to look further into this thanks for the post.
Louilou

Post by Louilou »

I have played both and have owned a Shires MD plus and a Lawler 500. Both great trombones. I personally prefer the Lawler, just a more unique sound for my personal taste.
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

Louilou - Do you have the .500 or the .508 Lawler? I'm interested in a Lawler and am considering options. Thanks for sharing.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Louilou

Post by Louilou »

I play 500 bore .022 Yellow brass stem. lightweigh yellow brass slide. .022 8 inch yellow brass bell flare. my other bellflare, is .025 7 3/4 inch goldbrass, each one creates a different sound and feel. I recommend these horns highly.
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

Louilou wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:09 pm I play 500 bore .022 Yellow brass stem. lightweigh yellow brass slide. .022 8 inch yellow brass bell flare. my other bellflare, is .025 7 3/4 inch goldbrass, each one creates a different sound and feel. I recommend these horns highly.
Thank you very much. I appreciate the info.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb

Return to “Instruments”