What is this model?

uro

What is this model?

Post by uro »

Hi guys,
I am new to this forum, I would like to know if anyone can recognize what is this trombone in the pic! :???:
Thank you

Uro
10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--

||   ||| ||| ||  ||||||||  |||||  ||||||
JohnL

Re: What is this model?

Post by JohnL »

Very little to work with here. The one cork barrel I can see looks like maybe a Yamaha.

Can you provide any context to the image?
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

The F wrap is on the player side of the bell. That's a distinguishing characteristic, unless it was a bass and the photo was edited. Plus, it has kind of a distinctive valve paddle, and the thumb is behind the brace. I tried to make out the name on the mouthpiece, but can't see it well enough.

It looks like it has a string tied to the spit valve for quick evacuation. Also a press-in leadpipe. And the slide is locked, so this is some portrait or marketing piece, not an action performance shot.

The ringed detail on the ferrules say greenhoe or something german.

But the wrong sided valve wrap...
uro

Post by uro »

I attach another pictures I found.
I was thinking the leadpipe's receiver should be something tipical?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--

hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I'd say it's a custom job based on a straight horn. And I'd bet it's not from the US. A manufacturer wouldn't put the F wrap next to your ear, and the only thumb-over-brace trigger horn I know would be a King or an Olds. Plus, it has an extra brace at the back if the valve had been a part of the original horn. Only straight horns are braced like that. I don't recognize the cork barrel. Has elements of Yamaha, but it's not that.

Where'd you get the pictures?
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Who is it?
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
LBOne

Post by LBOne »

This could be a trombone made by Winfried Rapp, Schwieberdingen in Germany.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

LBOne wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:14 pm This could be a trombone made by Winfried Rapp, Schwieberdingen in Germany.
Yeah, I'd say that's probably right (from facebook):

The Rapp wrap is on the correct side, the cork barrel looks about right, the ferrules are the same. and the lever is the same.

And here's one that even has the wrap on the wrong side and that string tie-down:
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

he makes a good looking alto too

Last edited by heinzgries on Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

I was just about to write my guess is it's German — the turnings on the ferrules and sleeves and braces are something I'd expect there. Interesting brace placement!

The string connecting to the spit key can be of course be used for ease of emptying, but I know sever players who have that, all because they use it in new music. I think Mike Svoboda recommends it to all his students here (and he usually has a fishline set up like that on his slide when I see him play).
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

Yea that's the type of horn Mike plays- small german maker, forget the name, but will find in a bit. that's the newer one the guy makes- the previous model looked like a Conn open wrap but with the valve tubing on the player side like that too.

The wrap is on the opposite side with the logic that the spit will flow down into the horn and therefore down to the spit valve (or that's at least what Mike told me). Super nice playing instruments.

got a fishing line on my horn, really comes in handy!
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
Elow

Post by Elow »

can someone identify this?
uro

Post by uro »

Thank you guys for the answers!
For those who have asked for it, it is Filippo Vignato's trombone: https://www.discogs.com/artist/3314021-Filippo-Vignato
--

LBOne

Post by LBOne »

can someone identify this?
I think this could be a Schagerl. It looks like a Schagerl Aurora Tenor Rizzotto with a different wrap.

Return to “Instruments”