Valves large shank

yhc

Valves large shank

Post by yhc »

Hello everyone.

That somebody know there are piston trombones with large shank. if there is, how they can be achieved. The ones I have searched for are small shank.

Thanks for your answers.

Cheers!!!
yhc

Re: Valves trombones large shank

Post by yhc »

I mean valves trombone with large shank.
BGuttman

Re: Valves large shank

Post by BGuttman »

The only instrument I know of in the US isn't really a trombone: the Conn 90G (no longer made). It's large bore, and shaped like a baritone horn.

In Europe you may find large bore "cavalry" trombones with rotary valves. Never seen any with pistons.

I hope somebody has better information
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
modelerdc

Post by modelerdc »

A one time Tommy Johnson had a valve section made for his conn 62H bass bone. so you had 5 valves, three like any valve trombone and the two on the bell. You could adapt the valves from a old .562 bore baritone and make one!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Noah Gladstone has had one large bore valve trombone made, specifically because there are no options like that on the market (and never really have been).
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I don't think there was ever anything like that as a production item. The aforementioned Conn 90G is probably the closest.

If you have access to a tech with serious mad scientist tendencies, they can probably piece together something out of baritone parts and a trombone bell section. DEG Music Products used to sell something they called a "jazzbone"; basically a marching baritone valve section (including the leadpipe) coupled with a trombone bell. Those were small shank, though, and did not have very many fans. There's a pic of one on this page:
https://sites.google.com/site/beecherbo ... bone---p-2
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I found playing euph that rotaries play more like a slide then pistons. Trumpet players that play rotaries say similar things.
That being said, a Cerveny euphonium or something East Euro could be a donor valve section. And if you like pistons, there are lots of euphs out there.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
yhc

Post by yhc »

Thanks you for your answers. I appreciate the information you have provided.

Cheers!!!

Return to “Instruments”