Martin Committee Trombone

dukesboneman

Martin Committee Trombone

Post by dukesboneman »

I`m interested in some info on the Martin Committee Trombone. Not the Urbie Model.
How do they play?
Are they any good? I know the Committee Trumpets are highly regarded, but I`ve never heard much about the trombones.
Thanks
BGuttman

Re: Martin Committee Trombone

Post by BGuttman »

I had a Committee trombone and an Imperial trombone from about the same time frame.

The Committee sounded more "big band" and the Imperial sounded more "Dixieland". I.e., the Committee was a bit more strident. I sold the Committee since I already had a good big band horn (Holton Stratodyne) but still have the Imperial (which I used with my Dixieland ensemble).

It's different from a King 2B or a Conn 6H. Not bad, but different. Wish I could explain the difference.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
sporto

Post by sporto »

They're very good. The most common 7 inch bell / .485 is kinda stuffy I think. (I've had 3) If you can find a 7.5 inch bell / .500 bore they are terrific. The .500 has a "3" over the serial # on the mpc receiver.
FEWeathers

Post by FEWeathers »

"He (Roy Lawler) even showed me his 1947 Martin Committee horn in excellent shape that he has modeled his horns after and really has something special here with his horns."

https://www.trombonechat.com/viewtopic. ... ee#p123563
rzeilinger

Post by rzeilinger »

The Martin Committee is a small bore lead trombone with a bore size a tad larger than a King 2B. My 1947 Committee was previously owned by Ed Kusby who was a professional studio trombonist in Southern California. You can find him in the Jazz History Book.
I own and have played the King 2B, Conn 4H, Bach 8, Holton 35, Olds Super and in my experience and opinion the Martin Committee is a serious lead trombone. It both slots strong & sings in the upper registers with less resistance than many of the other Trombones I mentioned.
Buy one they arent as expensive compared to a King 2B.
You'll might enjoy it.

Return to “Instruments”