Bach K valve

PhillyG

Bach K valve

Post by PhillyG »

Greetings folks,

Seeking thoughts/opinions on the Bach K valve. I am seriously considering a 50B with a K valve.

What say you?

Thx
Neo Bri

Re: Bach K valve

Post by Neo Bri »

I think a big complaint some have is ergonomics...like a coke can digging into the side of your neck. But that depends on so many things - you might have to play them.

I've always been intrigued by them and wouldn't mind owning one...
PhillyG

Post by PhillyG »

I tried a double plug 50K3 and that's exactly what happened but the horn I am considering is a one plug. I honestly can't remember which valve was the culprit. I am intrigued though! If I do get it I will try to get an LT slid for it. Along with the gold brass bell it could be SWEET!
Elow

Post by Elow »

burgerbob has an interesting video about his that he just got, you can either message him or look it up. His youtube is aidan ritchie
PhillyG

Post by PhillyG »

Thanks...I'll check that out when I get home after work. I work in Max. Security Prison so I can't access YouTube @ work.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Don't know much about the bass valves... but I have a small valve museum sort of setup for various valves on a Bach 42 that I have. I have a thayer, Holton Monster valve, K valve, CL2000. Had various rotors for a while and, but none currently. That said, I prefer the thayer, but the K valve works. Isn't the greatest ergonomically, but it works. Eats oil, like most large valves, but not the worst.

Tempted by that same bass, but I do NOT need another bass. Have too many as it is.

Cheers,
Andy
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

They are nice valves! Just make sure they are in good shape. I don't know if anyone is making any type of parts for them anymore.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

The 2nd valve on the 50K3 is really the neck-stickler, the single valve is mostly ok.

As for how they play, I can never make up my mind! On the the 50K3 (I'm borrowing one at the moment), they are NOT the world's most open valves, but they sound quite even. I think the biggest gripe I have is the amount of dead space between activations, which is exacerbated by how heavy and slow the valves move. It's difficult sometimes to get a good, quick low G to low F (4th to 1st), because the valve simply hasn't moved fast enough. This is worse on my 36K for whatever reason.

Also, on the single, I don't think you'd have a good E pull. Maybe just enough for low C but not any further.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
PhillyG

Post by PhillyG »

What lubricant would you recommend for the K valve?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

PhillyG wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:07 pm What lubricant would you recommend for the K valve?
Same as anything else, clean it out well and use Ultra Pure valve oil and bearing oil.
PhillyG

Post by PhillyG »

Ok cool and since the K valve is no longer made will it be able to be serviced w/o too much trouble?

Thanks BB
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Always a gamble. You won't be getting any new lever or specific linkage parts, for sure.
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

I owned a 50K3 and loved the valves. It was a fantastic classical horn... the setup I had didn’t lend itself to any commercial styles. I loved the valves though. Open, but with just a little resistance.
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A
Bach42t

Post by Bach42t »

I know it has been discontinued for around 16 years, but I still wonder if Bach would make a new one if it was requested? Those few that are out there in the wild are getting a bit long in the tooth.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

When it comes to manufacturing, just because a company used to make something, does not make it viable, or even possible in some instances, to make that same thing again. Especially in small numbers. Economy comes with quantity. Making a small number of K valves would be horrendously expensive.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Bach42t wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:09 amI know it has been discontinued for around 16 years, but I still wonder if Bach would make a new one if it was requested?
Unlikely, since that timeline would also mean they abandoned it following the last round of corporate consolidation into Conn-Selmer. They probably sold or junked the equipment and tooling for the K valves.

Besides which Conn-Selmer isn't a boutique company and probably wouldn't be open to considering many custom orders beyond the options listed in the catalog. You almost certainly could not buy a 42 with Lindberg valve or 88H with Hagmann, even though they have the necessary parts to assemble either sitting in the same Elkhart factory.
bimmerman

Post by bimmerman »

depending on the component needed, finding someone with a 3d printer and some design skills would allow for linkages or similar to be replicated.
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

I'm often amazed at how this forum can make an obscure piece of trombone equipment seem popular or desirable.

I'll keep my eye out for an Olds bass trombone with a balanced valve and a Wedge mouthpiece in the marketplace. If I can afford it...

Andrew

Return to “Instruments”