1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

jcemu07
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:05 am

1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by jcemu07 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:37 am

I have a Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone. It has a dual independent F and Gb triggers. I believe is from the 1970s (1975 based on the serial #). Conn Selmer did not have a shop card for my instrument. Only information I have been able to find is from a repair shop that said it was made right around when Vincent Bach started being manufactured in Indiana. Does anyone know much about the model 50 from the 70s or know where I can find out more about it?

Thanks!
Josh
Bass Trombone - Vincent Bach Stradivarius Model 50
Euphonium - Hirsbrunner HBS 378
User avatar
Burgerbob
Posts: 2074
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:10 pm
Location: LA
Contact:

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by Burgerbob » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:00 pm

Sounds like a Corporation 50B3. Not much to know other than that.
Dennis
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:23 pm
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by Dennis » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:00 pm

jcemu07 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:37 am
I have a Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone. It has a dual independent F and Gb triggers. I believe is from the 1970s (1975 based on the serial #). Conn Selmer did not have a shop card for my instrument. Only information I have been able to find is from a repair shop that said it was made right around when Vincent Bach started being manufactured in Indiana. Does anyone know much about the model 50 from the 70s or know where I can find out more about it?

Thanks!
Selmer moved Bach production from Mt Vernon NY to Elkhart IN in the 1964- 65 time frame. When they moved production they started producing the trumpets and trombones in higher volumes. They also stopped generating shop cards. Especially early in the company's history, Vincent Bach was tinkering with the instruments. The shop cards were apparently his way of tracking what had been done and who it was sold to. (As an extreme example, the NY Model 6 had seven different variants, as Bach tinkered with neckpipes, tuning slides, etc.). In Elkhart, they concentrated on making instruments from the successful designs and tinkered a lot less. Now they don't tinker at all that I can discern.

That's a long way of saying that there never was a shop card for your horn.

A 1975 50B3 (the inline double valve bass) would be one of the very early B3s, if the bell and slide are original to each other, and if the instrument is original. That is, if it was not converted to an in-line by someone like Burt Herrick, Larry Minick, Chuck Alexander, or George Strucel.
jcemu07
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:05 am

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by jcemu07 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:08 pm

Thanks very much for the info Dennis! I think I'm at least the third owner of this horn. The lacquer was stripped and I think the slide isn't original to the horn. Is there a way to tell if it was converted to an in-line?
Josh
Bass Trombone - Vincent Bach Stradivarius Model 50
Euphonium - Hirsbrunner HBS 378
mrdeacon
Posts: 915
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 2:05 am
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by mrdeacon » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:15 pm

jcemu07 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:08 pm
Thanks very much for the info Dennis! I think I'm at least the third owner of this horn. The lacquer was stripped and I think the slide isn't original to the horn. Is there a way to tell if it was converted to an in-line?
Posting pictures would be the easiest way to tell!
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42B 1977, Elliott XT
Holton TR185 1968, Elliott XB
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
jthomas105
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:53 pm
Location: DFW-Texas

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by jthomas105 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:25 pm

Pretty sure the Bach50b3 was not introduced until 1978 based on google search for Bach advertisement.
User avatar
BGuttman
Posts: 3169
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:19 am
Location: Cow Hampshire

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by BGuttman » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:38 pm

mrdeacon wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:15 pm
jcemu07 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:08 pm
Thanks very much for the info Dennis! I think I'm at least the third owner of this horn. The lacquer was stripped and I think the slide isn't original to the horn. Is there a way to tell if it was converted to an in-line?
Posting pictures would be the easiest way to tell!
The serial number is on the slide, and it's very possible that the slide and bell are not original to each other.

Again, pictures can help identify.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
User avatar
Burgerbob
Posts: 2074
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:10 pm
Location: LA
Contact:

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by Burgerbob » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:37 pm

Does the bell say Corporation on it?
jcemu07
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:05 am

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by jcemu07 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:15 pm

Here are pictures. Serial # on the slide is 15458. The slide also says Model 50 so I guess it is original to the horn.
20201202_165756.jpg
20201202_165756.jpg (3.01 MiB) Viewed 3976 times
20201202_165749.jpg
20201202_165749.jpg (3.84 MiB) Viewed 3976 times
20201202_165403.jpg
20201202_165403.jpg (3.58 MiB) Viewed 3976 times
User avatar
Burgerbob
Posts: 2074
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:10 pm
Location: LA
Contact:

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by Burgerbob » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:33 pm

That's been modded after the fact. No knowing which valve configuration it was at first. The second valve is from a 50B3, but could have come from somewhere else.
mrdeacon
Posts: 915
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 2:05 am
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by mrdeacon » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:21 pm

Burgerbob wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:33 pm
That's been modded after the fact. No knowing which valve configuration it was at first. The second valve is from a 50B3, but could have come from somewhere else.
I was thinking the same thing. The 2nd valve trigger at least is OEM Bach parts.

Do you think that's modern Conn 62h tubing? The wrap looks almost identical. Either way it looks slick!
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42B 1977, Elliott XT
Holton TR185 1968, Elliott XB
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
User avatar
Burgerbob
Posts: 2074
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:10 pm
Location: LA
Contact:

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by Burgerbob » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:38 pm

mrdeacon wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:21 pm


Do you think that's modern Conn 62h tubing? The wrap looks almost identical. Either way it looks slick!
I was thinking the same thing... It would need a bit of finagling to fit the Bach valve spacing, of course
jcemu07
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:05 am

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by jcemu07 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:17 pm

Thank you all so much! This is very interesting information. Now that I think about it, 2 owners before me, the person liked to have custom work done on their horns.
User avatar
elmsandr
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:43 pm
Location: S.E. Michigan
Contact:

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by elmsandr » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:44 am

Dennis wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:00 pm
Selmer moved Bach production from Mt Vernon NY to Elkhart IN in the 1964- 65 time frame. When they moved production they started producing the trumpets and trombones in higher volumes. They also stopped generating shop cards. Especially early in the company's history, Vincent Bach was tinkering with the instruments. The shop cards were apparently his way of tracking what had been done and who it was sold to. (As an extreme example, the NY Model 6 had seven different variants, as Bach tinkered with neckpipes, tuning slides, etc.). In Elkhart, they concentrated on making instruments from the successful designs and tinkered a lot less. Now they don't tinker at all that I can discern.

That's a long way of saying that there never was a shop card for your horn.

A 1975 50B3 (the inline double valve bass) would be one of the very early B3s, if the bell and slide are original to each other, and if the instrument is original. That is, if it was not converted to an in-line by someone like Burt Herrick, Larry Minick, Chuck Alexander, or George Strucel.
Just a quick note, the shop cards stopped slightly before the transfer to Elkhart. The last trombone shop card in in the neighborhood of 6300. Serial numbers get kinda funny between there and ~10K, I don't trust those very much. There was some parallel production during the transfer, so you have some Elkhart horns with lower numbers than some Mt V. horns.. definitely not as disciplined as it was before or after. I would not be surprised to find duplicate serial numbers.

Cheers,
Andy
GabrielRice
Posts: 380
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:20 am
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Contact:

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by GabrielRice » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:00 am

The traditional closed wrap 50B3 doesn't have the valves at offset angles like that.
Gabriel Langfur Rice

Faculty
Boston University School of Music
Kinhaven Music School Senior Session
Wellesley College

Bass Trombonist
Rhode Island Philharmonic
Vermont Symphony
Rodney Marsalis Philadelphia Big Brass
hornbuilder
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 9:20 pm

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by hornbuilder » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:16 pm

GabrielRice wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:00 am
The traditional closed wrap 50B3 doesn't have the valves at offset angles like that.
No, but rotating the casings during the re-wrap would be no big deal.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC
Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
jcemu07
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:05 am

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by jcemu07 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:35 am

Would there be any benefit to a rewrap to rotate the casing or just for aesthetics or preference?
Josh
Bass Trombone - Vincent Bach Stradivarius Model 50
Euphonium - Hirsbrunner HBS 378
User avatar
BGuttman
Posts: 3169
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:19 am
Location: Cow Hampshire

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by BGuttman » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:54 am

If you can rotate the valve slightly out of the plane of the bell, you can minimize bends in the tubing since the tubing will naturally fall above or below the plane of the bell. The whole idea behind open wraps was to minimize bends, so having o add a bend to move the tubing off the plane of the bell section seems to defeat the purpose.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
WGWTR180
Posts: 561
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:32 pm

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by WGWTR180 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:57 am

jcemu07 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:35 am
Would there be any benefit to a rewrap to rotate the casing or just for aesthetics or preference?
Definitely not for aesthetics.
User avatar
Burgerbob
Posts: 2074
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:10 pm
Location: LA
Contact:

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by Burgerbob » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:15 pm

WGWTR180 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:57 am
jcemu07 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:35 am
Would there be any benefit to a rewrap to rotate the casing or just for aesthetics or preference?
Definitely not for aesthetics.
Ok, I'll bite... This is such a weird thing that you and Dan Satterwhite always harp on. Why? No judgment here, there are some design trends I don't like either.
jcemu07
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:05 am

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by jcemu07 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:28 pm

WGWTR180 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:57 am
jcemu07 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:35 am
Would there be any benefit to a rewrap to rotate the casing or just for aesthetics or preference?
Definitely not for aesthetics.
In your opinion. Obviously, someone had it done whatever their reason. Since unfortunately, I don't know who had this modified and I'm no expert in these modifications I thought others with more knowledge might help with insights. This is all very interesting to learn.
WGWTR180
Posts: 561
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:32 pm

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by WGWTR180 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:46 pm

Burgerbob wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:15 pm
WGWTR180 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:57 am

Definitely not for aesthetics.
Ok, I'll bite... This is such a weird thing that you and Dan Satterwhite always harp on. Why? No judgment here, there are some design trends I don't like either.
Well because it's different you think it's weird. Typical of different opinions these days. I happen to think that the valves place perfectly inline with each other looks great. I think the other looks bad and ergonomically "weird". My opinion. Not yours? That's fine but not weird.
WGWTR180
Posts: 561
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:32 pm

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by WGWTR180 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:47 pm

jcemu07 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:28 pm
WGWTR180 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:57 am

Definitely not for aesthetics.
In your opinion. Obviously, someone had it done whatever their reason. Since unfortunately, I don't know who had this modified and I'm no expert in these modifications I thought others with more knowledge might help with insights. This is all very interesting to learn.
At that's exactly what you received-my opinion.
User avatar
spencercarran
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:02 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by spencercarran » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:51 pm

WGWTR180 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:46 pm
Burgerbob wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:15 pm


Ok, I'll bite... This is such a weird thing that you and Dan Satterwhite always harp on. Why? No judgment here, there are some design trends I don't like either.
Well because it's different you think it's weird. Typical of different opinions these days. I happen to think that the valves place perfectly inline with each other looks great. I think the other looks bad and ergonomically "weird". My opinion. Not yours? That's fine but not weird.
Agreed, on aesthetic grounds I think it looks much cleaner to have the rotors flush in the plane of the bell.

With that said, I'll always take an instrument that sounds good over one that looks good.
User avatar
Burgerbob
Posts: 2074
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:10 pm
Location: LA
Contact:

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by Burgerbob » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:22 pm

WGWTR180 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:46 pm
Burgerbob wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:15 pm


Ok, I'll bite... This is such a weird thing that you and Dan Satterwhite always harp on. Why? No judgment here, there are some design trends I don't like either.
Well because it's different you think it's weird. Typical of different opinions these days. I happen to think that the valves place perfectly inline with each other looks great. I think the other looks bad and ergonomically "weird". My opinion. Not yours? That's fine but not weird.
I only say it's weird because you bring it up every chance you possibly can. :idk:
hornbuilder
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 9:20 pm

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by hornbuilder » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:43 pm

I'm with Bill on this one.
Having the casings "off center" makes the construction a "little" bit easier, but to my eye, just doesn't look "right". I don't believe it makes any difference to the playability of the horn in any way. It does potentially have carry on effects with lever geometry, though.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC
Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
User avatar
Hobart
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:23 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by Hobart » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:02 pm

This is going to sound odd, but I honestly find that rotating the valve casings creates a cleaner look, such as on the King 7B.
Some other open-wrap horns have to add additional small bends in order to reach their straight casings, in extreme cases ending up like the Conn 112H and its Jupiter clone, with a few large 90 degree bends.
These bends would in theory add more resistance. To me, they look even more clumsy than rotating the valve by 20 degrees to facilitate having tubing run into the valve at the right angle.
I have three brain cells. Two are bickering over who ate one's lunch out of the fridge at work.
WGWTR180
Posts: 561
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:32 pm

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by WGWTR180 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:40 pm

Burgerbob wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:22 pm
WGWTR180 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:46 pm


Well because it's different you think it's weird. Typical of different opinions these days. I happen to think that the valves place perfectly inline with each other looks great. I think the other looks bad and ergonomically "weird". My opinion. Not yours? That's fine but not weird.
I only say it's weird because you bring it up every chance you possibly can. :idk:
And you always jump in anytime I bring something up. :hi:
Last edited by WGWTR180 on Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WGWTR180
Posts: 561
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:32 pm

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by WGWTR180 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:43 pm

hornbuilder wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:43 pm
I'm with Bill on this one.
Having the casings "off center" makes the construction a "little" bit easier, but to my eye, just doesn't look "right". I don't believe it makes any difference to the playability of the horn in any way. It does potentially have carry on effects with lever geometry, though.
I was going to post a pic of one of your instruments to show the beauty, to my eye, in the design. I've always felt that other manufacturers that choose to offset the inline valves do it because the part coming out of the valve port is easier to make. I even saw a dependent setup with the 2nd valve turned in towards where my cheek would be. Not attractive at all.
hornbuilder
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 9:20 pm

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by hornbuilder » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:44 pm

Hobart, But that is not how it works. The shape of a valve loop wrap has much less influence on how the valve range plays than the valve design. If you find a 112H to be "stuffy", it isn't because of the valve wrap, it is because of the valves. An free blowing valve with a "traditional" tight wrap plays just as open as that same valve with an "open wrap". I've done the experiments!

Thanks Bill.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC
Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Posaunus
Posts: 1500
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:54 pm
Location: California

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by Posaunus » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:49 pm

hornbuilder wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:44 pm
The shape of a valve loop wrap has much less influence on how the valve range plays than the valve design. If you find a 112H to be "stuffy", it isn't because of the valve wrap, it is because of the valves. An free blowing valve with a "traditional" tight wrap plays just as open as that same valve with an "open wrap".

Thanks Bill.
So no particular advantage to open wrap? Which is perhaps why I still love my old 88H? (Though it could be even better with a larger, more modern valve?) :idk:
User avatar
Burgerbob
Posts: 2074
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:10 pm
Location: LA
Contact:

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by Burgerbob » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:50 pm

WGWTR180 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:40 pm
Burgerbob wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:22 pm


I only say it's weird because you bring it up every chance you possibly can. :idk:
And you always jump in anytime I bring something up. :hi:
Well, that's just patently untrue.

In any case... it's an odd thing to harp on, when there are plenty of really great horns out there with that design.

In the case of this particular instrument, it makes a lot of sense and looks well built. I'd love to give it a blow.
hornbuilder
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 9:20 pm

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by hornbuilder » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:01 pm

Aidan, personal proclivities influence everything in life. If having the casings off center means that you either like or dislike a horn, that is a personal preference which is real. Aesthetics are important. But not everyone has the same idea as to what is aesthetically pleasing.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC
Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
User avatar
Burgerbob
Posts: 2074
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:10 pm
Location: LA
Contact:

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by Burgerbob » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:05 pm

hornbuilder wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:01 pm
Aidan, personal proclivities influence everything in life. If having the casings off center means that you either like or dislike a horn, that is a personal preference which is real. Aesthetics are important. But not everyone has the same idea as to what is aesthetically pleasing.
Yes, and I don't disagree. I just find it odd to chime in with that opinion presented as fact. There's plenty of things on instruments I don't like that I manage to keep to myself.
hornbuilder
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 9:20 pm

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by hornbuilder » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:12 pm

Posaunus.
The reason why trombones started being "open wrapped" was to prevent water collection in the wrap. Not to make the play more open. But that idea also came along with the change in trend. So now manufacturers offer open wraps because thatbis wht the market demands.

My favorite horn has an M&W valve with traditional wrap. It plays very open on the valve notes, but sure as apples starts to gurgle on valve notes after a while.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC
Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
jcemu07
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:05 am

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by jcemu07 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:56 pm

Burgerbob wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:50 pm
WGWTR180 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:40 pm


And you always jump in anytime I bring something up. :hi:
Well, that's just patently untrue.

In any case... it's an odd thing to harp on, when there are plenty of really great horns out there with that design.

In the case of this particular instrument, it makes a lot of sense and looks well built. I'd love to give it a blow.
Bob if your ever in Michigan, feel free to reach out. Your welcome to play it.
jcemu07
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:05 am

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by jcemu07 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:00 pm

WGWTR180 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:43 pm
hornbuilder wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:43 pm
I'm with Bill on this one.
Having the casings "off center" makes the construction a "little" bit easier, but to my eye, just doesn't look "right". I don't believe it makes any difference to the playability of the horn in any way. It does potentially have carry on effects with lever geometry, though.
I was going to post a pic of one of your instruments to show the beauty, to my eye, in the design. I've always felt that other manufacturers that choose to offset the inline valves do it because the part coming out of the valve port is easier to make. I even saw a dependent setup with the 2nd valve turned in towards where my cheek would be. Not attractive at all.
I'd be interested in seeing a pic of the design. Can you please post?
hornbuilder
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 9:20 pm

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by hornbuilder » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:38 pm

Here are some photos of M&W Valve sections.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1607136009586.jpg
Independent trad wrap
FB_IMG_1607136009586.jpg (78.53 KiB) Viewed 2720 times
FB_IMG_1607135212340.jpg
Dependent bass
FB_IMG_1607135212340.jpg (76.45 KiB) Viewed 2735 times
FB_IMG_1607135251408.jpg
Independent bass.
FB_IMG_1607135251408.jpg (62.45 KiB) Viewed 2735 times
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC
Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
User avatar
spencercarran
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:02 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by spencercarran » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:21 pm

Those are some beautiful instruments, Matthew. I especially like how the traditional wrap manages to stay compact without looking super cluttered (a frequent problem for closed wrap basses). Looks like bell-free bracing on all of them too?
hornbuilder
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 9:20 pm

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by hornbuilder » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:12 pm

The trad wrap does have bracing to the bell. It is not an issue because they are tension free, and they do not hamper bell resonance.

Another couple of pictures...
Attachments
FB_IMG_1607145198461.jpg
Dep trad wrap
FB_IMG_1607145198461.jpg (133.34 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
FB_IMG_1607145251960.jpg
Plug in dep. TiB
FB_IMG_1607145251960.jpg (56.37 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
FB_IMG_1607145304210.jpg
Single TIS
FB_IMG_1607145304210.jpg (46.07 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC
Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Elow
Posts: 1028
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:18 am

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by Elow » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:35 pm

:shock: Those look sooo good
FOSSIL
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:41 am

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by FOSSIL » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:33 am

That single tis bell section is just stunning.

Chris
WGWTR180
Posts: 561
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:32 pm

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by WGWTR180 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:33 am

Burgerbob wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:05 pm
hornbuilder wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:01 pm
Aidan, personal proclivities influence everything in life. If having the casings off center means that you either like or dislike a horn, that is a personal preference which is real. Aesthetics are important. But not everyone has the same idea as to what is aesthetically pleasing.
Yes, and I don't disagree. I just find it odd to chime in with that opinion presented as fact. There's plenty of things on instruments I don't like that I manage to keep to myself.
Aidan you take my opinion as fact? It's my opinion. I'm not trying to harp on this but that's all it is. I'm not an instrument maker pounding my fist stating things like "how can anyone play this instrument."-and neither is anyone else here. It's an opinion. You have yours and I don't see where I said "you are wrong." If the horn plays great, which is all that matters, then great! If it doesn't it's not because of the valve placement. Enough.
Last edited by WGWTR180 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
WGWTR180
Posts: 561
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:32 pm

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by WGWTR180 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:35 am

Matthew seeing that independent traditional wrap is giving me ideas. Baaaad ideas. LOL!
JoeStanko
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:04 am

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by JoeStanko » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:24 am

Going off thread here..
hornbuilder wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:12 pm

Another couple of pictures...
Matt, here is a previous Bach 50 of mine with the plug in valve running down the bell. This design is easier to hold then the original Holton plug in which pulled the horn too much to the left for me.

PM'ing you regarding a down the bell plug in second valve option for a Holton 169.

Joe Stanko
Attachments
1 and 2 screen shot.PNG
1 and 2 screen shot.PNG (249.3 KiB) Viewed 2371 times
Last edited by JoeStanko on Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Burgerbob
Posts: 2074
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:10 pm
Location: LA
Contact:

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by Burgerbob » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:49 am

WGWTR180 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:33 am
Aidan you take my opinion as fact? It's my opinion. I'm not trying to harp on this but that's all it is. I'm not an instrument maker pounding my fist stating things like "how can anyone play this instrument."-and neither is anyone else here. It's an opinion. You have yours and I don't see where I said "you are wrong." If the horn plays great, which is all that matters, then great! If it doesn't it's not because of the valve placement. Enough.
Again, Bill, I don't mind the opinion, just the way it's expressed.
WGWTR180
Posts: 561
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:32 pm

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by WGWTR180 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:40 am

Hmmmm. My original quote: "definitely not for esthetics". Horrifying.
User avatar
Hobart
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:23 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by Hobart » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:52 am

Remember when this thread was about a Bach?
Frankly, I'm curious to how it plays. We can probably make another thread to tear each other apart about rotated valve casings.
I have three brain cells. Two are bickering over who ate one's lunch out of the fridge at work.
jcemu07
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:05 am

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by jcemu07 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:18 pm

Hobart wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:52 am
Remember when this thread was about a Bach?
Frankly, I'm curious to how it plays. We can probably make another thread to tear each other apart about rotated valve casings.
Hobart, it plays very well. I've had more people ask about the the lacquer being stripped then anything else. I was told it was done for a perceived "darker sound". In any case I like horn. Got it for like $800.
User avatar
Hobart
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:23 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by Hobart » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:18 pm

jcemu07 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:18 pm
Hobart wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:52 am
Remember when this thread was about a Bach?
Frankly, I'm curious to how it plays. We can probably make another thread to tear each other apart about rotated valve casings.
Hobart, it plays very well. I've had more people ask about the the lacquer being stripped then anything else. I was told it was done for a perceived "darker sound". In any case I like horn. Got it for like $800.
That's quite a steal, I got a horn in worse shape for $300 and one valve less.
I have three brain cells. Two are bickering over who ate one's lunch out of the fridge at work.
Post Reply

Return to “Instruments”