New Arkbone Custom Trombone Prototype Pics

slipmo

New Arkbone Custom Trombone Prototype Pics

Post by slipmo »

New Arkbone custom prototypes 1x and 2x have arrived. These have some really unique features. I'll be posting more details up on my site too with more photos, but here are some teaser pics in the meantime! I've developed these in consultation with Jay Friedman!

-one piece ultra thin red brass bell, 8.5" diameter with soldered rim
-seamed red brass tuning slide
-.547 standard weight nickel slide with seamed red brass crook or .562" lightweight nickel slide with seamed nickel crook
-optional remote water key
-closed or open wrap configuration
-special traditional rotary valve with bronze bearing plates and valve core
-press fit leadpipe

Thought I'd share some sneak peek pics here
arkbonejayclosed_1.jpg
arkbonejayopen_1.jpg
arkbonejayopen_2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
harrisonreed

Re: New Arkbone Custom Trombone Prototype Pics

Post by harrisonreed »

As usual, the brass ark horns look sweet
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

88H-ish size through the tuning slide and bell throat?
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Trav1s

Post by Trav1s »

Those bells are beautiful and the closed wrap is very nice.
Travis B.
Trombone player since 1986 and Conn-vert since 2006
1961 24H - LT101/C+/D2
1969 79H - LT102/D/D4
1972 80H - Unicorn
Benge 165F LT102/F+/G8
slipmo

Post by slipmo »

Trav1s wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:14 pm Those bells are beautiful and the closed wrap is very nice.
I wanted to do a closed wrap option because done right, its so elegant, thanks!
slipmo

Post by slipmo »

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:55 pm 88H-ish size through the tuning slide and bell throat?
a bit wider bell throat, but its not as wide as a 42 size bell. I wanted to make this horn committed to being different and not just another 88H or 42 clone. It's not for everyone, but I don't really want to be in the mass trombone making business. This is an instrument designed by me for people like me (with some insights and input from Jay and Thomas Zsivkovits too of course!)

Big shout out to Stephan Schmidt, who builds these for The Brass Ark. He's really upped his game on these new horns.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

slipmo wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:54 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:55 pm 88H-ish size through the tuning slide and bell throat?
I wanted to make this horn committed to being different and not just another 88H or 42 clone. I

Great! I like that you're not just rehashing what we've seen, I was just wondering. Eyeball puts it near 88H but you can never tell in photos entirely.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Noah,

These trombones look great. I agree that the closed wrap appears elegant. But so does the open wrap!

Has Jay had a chance to play either one? Which wrap does he prefer?

Congratulations to Stephan Schmidt. :good:
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

I really loved the original Arkbone I played when I was there. If I had to replace my Elkie 88H tomorrow I'd get one of those without hesitation. I'm sure these are just as stellar. And yeah...that closed wrap is beautiful.
slipmo

Post by slipmo »

Posaunus wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:00 pm Noah,

These trombones look great. I agree that the closed wrap appears elegant. But so does the open wrap!

Has Jay had a chance to play either one? Which wrap does he prefer?

Congratulations to Stephan Schmidt. :good:
Open wrap is en route to Jay in Chicago, so anyone that wants to test it out can test it there or wait for it to come back to me (assuming he'll send it back!)

The closed wrap .547" model will stay here at my shop for testing and for anyone interesting in trying it out. I also do have the original 1st prototype for this horn with open wrap available for sale at a discount price currently for sale on the website with slightly different specs.

Arkbone prototype 00X
ngarkproto_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Dang, I wish I played more, or didn't already have a fleet of trombones. These look really great.

Thank you SO much for continuing to innovate and bring fresh ideas and designs into the market Noah!
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The closed wrap looks like it has almost no pull. Playing with the tuning slide all the way in, I wonder if there would be just enough pull for F?
slipmo

Post by slipmo »

harrisonreed wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:42 pm The closed wrap looks like it has almost no pull. Playing with the tuning slide all the way in, I wonder if there would be just enough pull for F?
It looks that way because I went with brass tubing so its hard to tell, here's a photo of the back. Not enough for an E pull, but who's doing that these days :shuffle:
arkbonejayclosed_3.jpg
tombone21

Post by tombone21 »

Drooling over this closed wrap, I wish more makers would come back to these. I've never seen a closed wrap that also has the brace between the neckpipe and bell where edge bracing typically goes. Would love to have a peek behind the curtain as to how these decisions came about (podcast idea?). Very slick nickel tuning slide guard to boot, does the open wrap version have that too?
slipmo

Post by slipmo »

tombone21 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:52 pm Drooling over this closed wrap, I wish more makers would come back to these. I've never seen a closed wrap that also has the brace between the neckpipe and bell where edge bracing typically goes. Would love to have a peek behind the curtain as to how these decisions came about (podcast idea?). Very slick nickel tuning slide guard to boot, does the open wrap version have that too?
The open wrap prototype doesn't have the tuning bow guard. That will be an option of course for the production model regardless of the wrap, but to get a good comparison I ordered them different.

Yeah, I'll have to do a trombone corner episode about all the cool projects over the years. We do have some cool episodes coming up in the pipeline!
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

slipmo wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:38 pm
harrisonreed wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:42 pm The closed wrap looks like it has almost no pull. Playing with the tuning slide all the way in, I wonder if there would be just enough pull for F?
It looks that way because I went with brass tubing so its hard to tell, here's a photo of the back. Not enough for an E pull, but who's doing that these days :shuffle:

arkbonejayclosed_3.jpg
Dang, that looks like about 2.5 inches you get to play with. I think I usually pull that much just to get my valves to F. Maybe more! I do tune the horn in a different way from many, though.

I'll take the open wrap, please! Send the bill to Elow. He'll cover it :cool:
slipmo

Post by slipmo »

harrisonreed wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:02 pm
slipmo wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:38 pm

arkbonejayclosed_3.jpg
Dang, that looks like about 2.5 inches you get to play with. I think I usually pull that much just to get my valves to F. Maybe more! I do tune the horn in a different way from many, though.

How ironic! Elow just placed an order for you! :pant: :twisted:
Elow

Post by Elow »

slipmo wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:25 pm How ironic! Elow just placed an order for you! :pant: :twisted:
Wait a minute... i thought a placed an order for the closed wrap
tombone21

Post by tombone21 »

Dang, that looks like about 2.5 inches you get to play with.
[redacted]
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Elow wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:48 pm
slipmo wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:25 pm How ironic! Elow just placed an order for you! :pant: :twisted:
Wait a minute... i thought a placed an order for the closed wrap
Elow,

I think you placed two orders - an open wrap for Harrison and a closed wrap for yourself! :roll:

Delivery by Christmas. (2021 ;) )
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

slipmo wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:25 pm

How ironic! Elow just placed an order for you! :pant: :twisted:
Oh, good. My shipping address changed from when I bought the 3B from you, so I'll just send you the updated address now.... :twisted:

Return to “Instruments”