Conn 88HN

Peacemate

Conn 88HN

Post by Peacemate »

I'm wondering if anyone has any information on the version of the 88H with a nickel bell. I currently own one as my primary instrument and am looking to learn more about it. It seems to have a stock slide with the only difference being the bell colour. I am pretty sure it is stock, since I can see the bell seam with a slightly more yellow tint.

Mine has a serial number which says it was made in 1990, and has a string linkage.

As a side note, I would really appreciate if anybody could tell me the possible resale value of it (not interested in selling, I love the horn), or send pictures of a sales brochure which confirms the existence of the creature.
Student in Sweden, usually looking for more trombones
Elow

Re: Conn 88HN

Post by Elow »

I’ve seen a 73H with a nickel bell but i think it was just plated. Not sure if that was stock or done custom.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I don't know the years they offered that model. but there was a time around the late 80'/early 90's where Conn offered some options for bell material. Nickel was one, and so was yellow brass (which I think is still offered). I think the nickel bells disappeared around the time they started offering sterling bells when Lindberg endorsed those. I don't think the nickel bells caught on, although it was a popular material for french horns from Conn for a long time. A lot of stuff like this disappeared as companies started to merge, and the new larger company would phase out the items from each of the previously separate instrument makers that were the least popular sellers.

Jim Scott
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

I think it was an option offered in the late 80s/ early 90s. I had a student whose mother bought him one (and many other nice Conns). At NAMM around 2001(?) I spoke with a guy that worked for UMI (i wanna say Bill?) and asked about nickel bells and he said there was a few nickel bells that he didn't know where they came from.

As far as resale value (I'll but it ;) ), i saw an Ebay listing in Japan asking for $3000 or close to it. I'd say considering the rarity of the 88HN, you could get easily what an good Elkhart 88H goes for ($1500ish).
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
Wakawaka555

Post by Wakawaka555 »

My good friend/trombone mentor has an 88H that his parents bought him as a graduation present in the early 60's that was custom ordered from the factory with a nickel bell. I don't know how many Elkhart 88H's were made that way; I certainly haven't seen any others.

Return to “Instruments”