[pics incl.] Buying used and not sure what to look out for. Opinions?

nobodyshero1993

[pics incl.] Buying used and not sure what to look out for. Opinions?

Post by nobodyshero1993 »

i’ve decided to go with a used yamaha thanks to members in a previous post. so i’m a beginner, not really sure what to look for when buying used. i’ve found two trombones, both have a dent but overall they look okay to me, but i don’t know much. maybe you guys can tell me which seems like a better deal? i can’t test them out so i’m just relying on photos and descriptions. trombone #1: this one is selling for around $215. owner says it was “recently adjusted” and the hand slide works well. trombone #2: this one is around $273. owner says it’s like new except for the tuning slide dent. i guess i’m mainly asking which dent is less of problem
Doug Elliott

Re: [pics incl.] Buying used and not sure what to look out for. Opinions?

Post by Doug Elliott »

The cross brace dent is strange, how did that happen? ... but isn't a problem at all if the slide works well. The tuning slide dent is easy for a tech to get out. I would probably go for the one with the cross brace dent. Especially since it's cheaper.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Elow

Post by Elow »

If youre able to go test them, then i would choose whatever one has the better slide. If you cant, i would avoid that cheaper one because it has dents near the slide so it probably wasnt maintained as well as the other one. A tuning slide is easy to ding up, a cork barrel dent and brace dent are pretty hard to dent.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

nobodyshero1993 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:40 pm i can’t test them out so i’m just relying on photos and descriptions.
No matter what you get, plan on spending a little on having a few things fixed. It might be as much as you're spending on the horn, but you're still getting a good deal.

I don't know about Yamaha parts prices now, but it used to be that you could buy a new tuning slide for less than the cost to repair it.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

If your a beginner do you have a teacher? If so seek his/her advice and if you don't a have a teacher then get one

Rather than buy from an unknown, why not browse the classified section here and purchase from a forum user

Another option is to rent, many music stores offer this option and after 3 months you will have a better idea if the trombone is for you, and what you may need in terms of an instrument

Return to “Instruments”