Axial/Thayer on a Bach 36?

RJMason

Axial/Thayer on a Bach 36?

Post by RJMason »

Interested in getting this modification done. I’ve only ever seen one or two Bach 36s modded with a Thayer.

I use the F a lot for improv and recording low notes, prefer my horns with a trigger. Has anyone had experience with this setup, or similar .525 with Axial? Thanks for your insight!
dukesboneman

Re: Axial/Thayer on a Bach 36?

Post by dukesboneman »

You may want to consider The Instrument Innovations Rotary and /or Thayer.
I have the rotary on my 42BO and love it.
I`ve seen a 36 with a I I rotary..
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The need for a modified valve on a 36 is a lot less than a 42. They use the same rotor, so it's much more open on the 36.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

At that point you need to ask yourself why you're playing a Bach 36 and not a Bach 42? Could this possibly be a mouthpiece issue and not a valve issue?

As others have said check out the Rotax or Instrument Innovations valve if you want a improved rotor.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

You'd also need a wide slide with any kind of larger valve. I have a 36K and had to have a Shires crook installed in order to play it comfortably.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

Cheapest solution is to open up the valve ports. The stock valve ports on a 36/42 are machined straight through. This has the effect of a "squashed tube." Dana Hofer of Chicago will open the ports up if you mail him your valve cores.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I had a custom Edwards .525 with a Thayer and detachable straight neckpipe. Wide slide. I played the horn for a number of years and it was a great horn, but I came to the realisation that a Thayer was just the wrong valve for it and a standard rotor or similar would’ve been a better decision. It probably felt best as a straight horn. I’d go for an Instrument Innovations valve now I think.
chromebone

Post by chromebone »

John Swallow played a 36 with a Thayer and he sounded great on it. It’s not only doable on a 36, it works really well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:49 pm You'd also need a wide slide with any kind of larger valve. I have a 36K and had to have a Shires crook installed in order to play it comfortably.
I remember someone critiquing yamaha for not putting a Thayer on their alto and thought the same thing lol.
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

i had a .525 shires with a thayer that played really well. worked awesome on radio city and other commercial gigs.
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
pedrombon

Post by pedrombon »

I've played an axial valve with 525" slide and 8" bell and I love how that setup sounds.
Sonas Artist
Granada Brass
Orquesta Ciudad de Almería
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

chromebone wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:27 am John Swallow played a 36 with a Thayer and he sounded great on it. It’s not only doable on a 36, it works really well.
Thanks for posting this. I studied with John, and never saw him with this instrument. He always had a normal 36b rotary when I knew him in the mid 80s.
chromebone

Post by chromebone »

Thanks for posting this. I studied with John, and never saw him with this instrument. He always had a normal 36b rotary when I knew him in the mid 80s.
I studied with him in the 90's and the horn in the picture is what he was playing. I think it's the same 36 you saw him with, but he had it converted. The work was done by Chuck McAlexander.

I think O.E.Thayer may have made a smaller valve for medium bore horns back then.
RJMason

Post by RJMason »

That picture also helped me get this idea! I studied with Tom Hutchinson who was a student of John Swallow.

I have an 8H with a Thayer. It sounds wonderful. The Thayer is my favorite valve I’ve ever played on (I’ve previously owned horns w/ Rotor, Rotax, Meinlschmidt, Hagmann, Voight).

However, I am trying to get down to one small straight tenor and one all around F tenor. While I have enjoyed having different instruments for recording work, different sounds and “paintbrushes”, I have found during this pandemic that switching back and forth on many tenors is bad for my playing technique and sound concept overall. Trying to focus things.

I don’t do traditional orchestral or jazz work anymore, so am not looking for typical equipment. I find myself using a bass trombone more than a large bore for the recording/soundtrack work I do. .525/F covers all the other tenor needs (and blends really well with Bari Sax all the way to lead trumpet). I will keep a small horn for some solo/lead lines, ballad type playing, and Bill Watrous sound concept I have previously ignored but have been digging into lately to find another approach to playing trombone.

As a complete instrument, the Bach 36 is my favorite. I can play everything on the current rotor but want something that has less resistance and requires less effort to dial in. I may send mine to Sweeney Brass and add an Instrument Innovations Axial. Will also ask about the II rotor. While I know it will not play as “open” as an Axial, it may provide me with the fluidity in the trigger register I desire.

Appreciate everyone’s insight!

Return to “Instruments”