Miraphone trombones?

bort

Miraphone trombones?

Post by bort »

Again, I'm a tuba player, new to the world of trombones. In the tuba world, Miraphone is very highly regarded. Maybe not the most exciting or high end unique tubas sometimes, but they are great, and can just about do no wrong.

What's the sentiment about Miraphone trombones? They aren't very common, for sure... But are they (in general) any good?

Thanks!
BGuttman

Re: Miraphone trombones?

Post by BGuttman »

We don't treasure Mirafone trombones like you tuba players treasure Mirafone tubas. The soprano (trumpet size) and BBb contra have their niche markets, but the instruments in the middle generally get out performed by the likes of Bach, Conn, etc.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

They certainly exist!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
bort

Post by bort »

Thanks! About the answers I expected... But very appreciated! Good or bad price -- about $600 for a Miraphone tenor w/rotor and "snakes"....?
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

bort wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:53 pm Thanks! About the answers I expected... But very appreciated! Good or bad price -- about $600 for a Miraphone tenor w/rotor and "snakes"....?
I would expect you will find a better deal than this.
Miraphone trombones are also not very common here in Germany where they actually come from.

I have never played or even seen one myself, but would be pretty sure to assume that no matter if it is an older or a more current model, you will most likely find something better.

It could be that they are a bit more common in southeast Germany.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I have never played a Mirafone trombone that I liked. They feel badly balanced, awkward to hold and play.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Tremozl

Post by Tremozl »

I find the Mirafone BBb contra to be well balanced and surprisingly light. I have never seen anything else by them.

I would describe it as such... it sounds fearsome with its big booming tone, but it is remarkably frustrating to play.
bort

Post by bort »

Thanks, everyone!

Miraphone makes some excellent tubas, which are universally easy to play and very well built. Sounds like maybe they just don't build enough trombones to get it totally right...? I don't know ... But thanks everyone for the help!
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I own a Mirafone valve trombone with piston valves! I assume they made it for the American market (?) but I have never seen another one. Someone at Miraphone told me they made very few of them in the 1970s. Its bore is about .520 or so and it actually plays well. It requires more air than the King and Conn valve trombones I have played, for sure.

But to answer your question of Miraphone trombones generally being good... I would have to say No.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

There aren't a ton of them out there but Miraphone made a double plug bass trombone in the 80s and 90s that isn't half bad. I have a family friend who gigged on one in LA in the 80s and he made a living on it!

But in general Miraphone bones are trash lol
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

Nobody plays a “york” trombone either.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

jacobgarchik wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:33 am Nobody plays a “york” trombone either.
Which ones? There are the ones from 100 years ago that were uncomfortable to hold and pretty awful, and then there were the later stencil models (probably Eastern European) that were truly dreadful.

Note that York tubas are highly prized among tuba players.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

BGuttman wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:22 am
Note that York tubas are highly prized among tuba players.
that's what I mean.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I have played a couple of Miraphone trombones that appeared to be Conn copies some years ago - one looked to be a yellow brass 88H before Conn offered that option, and the other looked similar to a 72H. I don't recall being completely turned off, but years later, I would describe my reaction as "meh". If they were inexpensive enough, they might have been an OK first "F attachment" instrument,or perhaps a first Bass trombone for a young player, but definitely not the choice for a really serious player.

Jim Scott
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

It is like going to one of those great steakhouses in NYC or Chicago... and ordering seafood...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

See also Cerveny, B & S, Besson. Always struck me as weird because it seems like tubas are harder to make than trombones.
JoeStanko

Post by JoeStanko »

greenbean wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:08 pm It is like going to one of those great steakhouses in NYC or Chicago... and ordering seafood...
I live in steakhouse row..they’ve all been closed since February. Literally an end to the city.

Return to “Instruments”