Yamaha ybl 322 tuning tendencies

JCBone

Yamaha ybl 322 tuning tendencies

Post by JCBone »

I have a yamaha ybl 322 and i find that I have to pull the tuning slide all the out only for it to only play a little high. Does anybody have any experience with this. Could it be a mouthpiece problem or an emochure problem?
Basbasun

Re: Yamaha ybl 322 tuning tendencies

Post by Basbasun »

It could either embouchure or mouthpiece problem, or - is the tuning slide cut shorter? Though I haven´t seen many Yammys with cut tuning slide, mor Bach,s. Good mpc for that trombone is Yammaha 58 or 59, for some players even 60. Bach 2g or 1,5 or more in that ballpark. For some players even 1G can work.
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

PS I test played more the 10 Yammaha 322 or 321, no tuning issius what so ever.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

JCBone wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:45 pm I have a yamaha ybl 322 and i find that I have to pull the tuning slide all the out only for it to only play a little high. Does anybody have any experience with this. Could it be a mouthpiece problem or an emochure problem?
Have you had any othe bass bone players try your horn? (Yes covid issues aside). If they have the same problem it's the horn, if not its you

Could it be chops or mouthpiece ? Yes. Is it? Without anyone seeing or hearing you play you will get lots of suggestions, are you a regular bass player or a doubler?? If so how much practice are you doing on the bass?

As long as your mouthpiece isn't at either extreme end of the bass bone scale it may be you, before spending money down the mouthpiece rabbit hole have a Skype lesson with someone like Doug Elliott, or one of the pro bass players we have on the site who are experienced teachers
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

Vegasbound wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:31 am
JCBone wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:45 pm I have a yamaha ybl 322 and i find that I have to pull the tuning slide all the out only for it to only play a little high. Does anybody have any experience with this. Could it be a mouthpiece problem or an emochure problem?
Have you had any othe bass bone players try your horn? (Yes covid issues aside). If they have the same problem it's the horn, if not its you

Could it be chops or mouthpiece ? Yes. Is it? Without anyone seeing or hearing you play you will get lots of suggestions, are you a regular bass player or a doubler?? If so how much practice are you doing on the bass?

As long as your mouthpiece isn't at either extreme end of the bass bone scale it may be you, before spending money down the mouthpiece rabbit hole have a Skype lesson with someone like Doug Elliott, or one of the pro bass players we have on the site who are experienced teachers
Thanks. I am a doubler and only started bass this year. I'll have my teacher check it out.
BrianAn

Post by BrianAn »

Interesting. I started doubling on bass about a year ago, on my YBL-321, with is the same as the 322 but rose brass I believe. I was certainly quite sharp on it when I began. Certainly not as sharp as you, but had to pull out my tuning slide out further than I was used to. As time went on I played lower on the pitch. Now I play with my tuning slide in all the time and just tune with my slide, but 1st position is about the same as on my tenor. Maybe the tenor trombone embouchure is what is making you sharp? Or just your embouchure over, not necessarily caused by playing tenor trombone.
An pronounced "On"
Trombonist in Ottawa and Waterloo
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/briananmusic/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/brian.an.0/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@BrianAnMusic
fyfepa

Post by fyfepa »

Saw your post. I just bought a second hand one and experiencing the same problem with tuning and slide fully out.

Difficult to tune low c and f to trigger and still keep the ist positions in tune? Any solutions?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

With most F-attachments, if you tune F in 1st to be in tune, C in 1st will be sharp. If you tune C in 1st to be in tune, low F in 1st will be too flat. You will have to choose which to accept: low F in tune and you move the slide out for C, or C in tune and you don't play low F in 1st. Most bass trombonists will choose the first, most tenor trombonists will choose the second.

Also note that a normal trombone slide will only allow for 6 positions with the F trigger engaged. Trigger positions are longer than normal positions.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

fyfepa wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:08 am Saw your post. I just bought a second hand one and experiencing the same problem with tuning and slide fully out.

Difficult to tune low c and f to trigger and still keep the ist positions in tune? Any solutions?
Solution 1. Push the tuning slide in 100% and play in tune using the hand slide. This will allow maximum use of the valve tuning slides.

Solution 2. Tune your Ab to be in tune with the bell and see if you are still pulled out 100%. I don't think you will be.

Return to “Instruments”