Conn 88HSGXCL Experience? Good or bad.

Model34

Conn 88HSGXCL Experience? Good or bad.

Post by Model34 »

Bit the bullet; Got it on eBay today!

Canceled my TB400B Bach order on Amazon.
Last edited by Model34 on Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Finetales

Re: Conn 88HSGXCL Your Thoughts

Post by Finetales »

Would love to try one, as well as a normal 88HSGX. It's an alphabet soup but definitely a pretty instrument.

But, I doubt I'd like it as much as my Elkhart!
AlexMcMahon

Re: Conn 88HSGXCL Experience? Good or bad.

Post by AlexMcMahon »

Mine’s good. I traded one in college and kicked myself for years until I made another trade for a second one in recent years. I don’t play it much but it’s fun when I do. I wish the slide was wider and the lead pipes on the SGX slide were interchangeable- I usually play a Bach 36 with a 525/547 slide and prefer the dual bore. The horn is HEAVY, and is hard to play at soft dynamics without the greatest amount of air support, but has a wonderful sound. If I wasn’t so attached to keeping it looking stock and wanted to hot rod it like some of my other horns, I’d think about making the valve removable and having a straight pipe built for it and having the slide widened. Getting the work done, and done well to keep everything silver/gold would be $$$.
Model34

Post by Model34 »

What mouthpiece do you use with it? What mouthpiece does it like best?
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Model34 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:28 pm What mouthpiece do you use with it? What mouthpiece does it like best?
The one that will work best for you!
Model34

Post by Model34 »

Over the years, I’ve discovered that quite a few mouthpieces work well for me, but that horns seem to prefer certain mouthpieces! And I suspect that this particular horn may be a little pickier than most.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

So the sterling silver Conn is hard to play soft?
My sterling silver Edwards is easy to play soft. Rich sound and softer then any other horn.
Is the Conn just heavy or is the throat locked up?
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
AlexMcMahon

Post by AlexMcMahon »

I find it hard to play soft because of how thick the bell is and how much support is needed to get the column of air vibrating. It probably could be overcome with more time on the horn, but I’m so used to bells that are thinned out and vibrate with little effort. My horn is more of a keepsake as a memory of my grandparents who bought me my original and their support for my pursuit of music. I’ve got several other horns that play the way I like- turned out to be a Bach/Edwards person after all.
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add my take.

The 88HSGXCL has been called "the Ferrari of trombones." My horn, on the right in the photo below, is about 20 years old, made when the Lindberg valve was still "patent pending." So I can't speak to newer vintage axes.

Yes, as mentioned above it has a thick bell, and it might take a little practice with the horn to get it to speak just right when playing extremely soft. It's not that it is difficult to get it to speak -- it's not -- but it does want you to keep moving the air. This is not a horn for a lazy or incorrect player. You have to move the air all the way through the phrase, especially in soft playing. But if your airstream is good, it shouldn't be a problem, at all. At worst it just takes a minute to adjust to.

To start, the horn is a fantastic overall symphonic and solo horn. The sound is beautiful. It has a very focused core while remaining big and round, with some darkness so that it never gets overly bright while still remaining tightly focused, no matter how hard you lean on it. And you can lean on it really hard and it won't break up.

I've always loved the Thayer valves, but now I'm addicted to the Lindberg valve. Very open flow, and it is so quick and has such a short throw that everything else feels like you're moving a mile in molasses and blowing air through honey.

I'm really impressed with the upper range on this horn; it is amazingly open, free and easy. I can easily play up to a high F without any thinning of the tone, while keeping a big, open sound whether soft or loud. And it's surprisingly easy.

The axe itself is an honest horn. Whether you play well or poorly, correctly or incorrectly, it will show. The horn doesn't hide anything, and it's neither forgiving nor unforgiving. What you play is what you get. It is deceptively quick and responsive given the thickness of the bell. And the tone is stable over the full dynamic range.

I'd say this is the perfect axe for a principal trombone in a symphony. It just takes a good air flow.

Overall, after owning a number of 42Bs and 88Hs, this, for me, is far and away the winner.

FWIW I play it with a gold plated Marcinkiewicz ET-1 Byron Peebles model mouthpiece.
Last edited by tbdana on Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
JasonDonnelly

Post by JasonDonnelly »

Hey, since I don't have to be the one to resurrect an old thread...

I like my 88HCLSGX. It has a quick and easy response, predictable intonation, and the valve works the way you want it to. Versus your average large tenor, it is very difficult to edge out (although has no issues w/ decibels) and the sound is probably brighter than desired for an "American orchestral sound." There are people who play it in symphonic settings, of course (2nd trombonist of San Diego comes to mind), but I would hesitate to bring it to an orchestral audition. Articulations are also very pronounced on the horn, for better or worse - many things speak easier than they would on other equipment but it's also easy to sound "pingy." Somewhere down the line, I will probably get a more middle-of-the-road large tenor to use for orchestra playing, but I have no plans to get rid of the 88, even if the only use it gets is solo playing, the occasional jazz/commercial gig, brass band, etc.
University of Miami - BM Euphonium Performance 21'
Indiana University - MM Bass Trombone and Euphonium 24'

Courtois 551BHRA
Besson Prestige 2052S
Conn 88HSCL
Kuhnl and Hoyer Slokar Alto (Eb/Bb)

Various Greg Black mouthpieces
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

They're amazing horns, but they don't always work in a section. A great player friend of mine just moved to an 88HNV so he can play with others.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
conn88Hagmann

Post by conn88Hagmann »

I have an open wrap SGX (standard valve) for sale!

Stunning trombone!
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Everyone is talking about playing softly -- the horn was designed around a mouthpiece that has a .307" throat. Such a mouthpiece is actually very easy to play softly. If you use something close to the 4CL the horn probably plays as intended.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Burgerbob wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:57 pm They're amazing horns, but they don't always work in a section. A great player friend of mine just moved to an 88HNV so he can play with others.
Scratch that, I have TWO friends that moved to "normal" 88Hs from SGXs.
Digidog

Post by Digidog »

Burgerbob wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:47 am
Burgerbob wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:57 pm They're amazing horns, but they don't always work in a section. A great player friend of mine just moved to an 88HNV so he can play with others.
What reasons do they give? Have you tried their horns?
Welcome to visit my web store: https://www.danieleng.com/

Big Engband on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/30Vuft1 ... me3sZi8q-A
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Digidog wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:56 am
Burgerbob wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:47 am

What reasons do they give? Have you tried their horns?
Yes. They're addicting to play. I can absolutely see how they landed on the horns and had a hard time giving them up- the density of the core they play with is honestly unmatched. But playing with others is just not easy. I played 2nd to one of them about a year ago and it was just not a possible section sound with me on a rather standard 42- the sterling Conn just takes no prisoners.
conn88Hagmann

Post by conn88Hagmann »

Exactly right. . .
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I did see Christian play the Sandström double trombone concerto with 《orchestra name removed》and he was at stage front with that orchestra's 1st bone. The poor guy from the orchestra stood no chance. Lindberg sounded awesome and like he was right next to me, but the other guy was soft and you couldn't hear him. It sort of snowballed until the guy just couldn't hit any note right. Even from backstage (he started playing offstage) Lindberg had more presence on the SGX than the guy from the orchestra.
BoNeLife

Post by BoNeLife »

I have two, one 88hsgxcl and another that is gold plated with a Thayer, it’s my stealth instrument. I never have side ways comments when I use it on gigs. Many of my colleagues use silver bells them as well.

Return to “Instruments”