Bach Bass valuation

BoomtownRath

Bach Bass valuation

Post by BoomtownRath »

Hi all.......

A mate of mine has recently joined a band and has been issued a Bach 50BL2, tradional wrap stacked valves in F and Eb 9 1/2" bell in yellow brass. The instrument plays fine (I've tried it...) slide is pretty good but the triggers located together are cumbersome and to be of any real use should really be split. He approached the band about financing to have the modification carryed out but their not prepared to throw any money at a trombone from the period 1983-1985 (we done a serial no. check!).

Another option is to enquire to possibly purchase the trombone from the band for a price that would suit both parties and he could then go about having modifications carried out at his own expense.

Anyone have an idea of what this trombone is worth? Laquer wear is approx 70% so she won't win any beauty competitions but she plays well enough to warrant a second lease of life!!

Boomtown.
Burgerbob

Re: Bach Bass valuation

Post by Burgerbob »

In the US, maybe $1800-2200. The un-split levers and Eb slide really take down the value.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

The worse set up and an L bell? I would put it even lower at like $1200 unfortunately.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

ZacharyThornton wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:54 pm The worse set up and an L bell? I would put it even lower at like $1200 unfortunately.
They did say it has a 9 1/2 bell though, so Maybe it's just a 50B2?

Of course even TODAY Bach makes the 50B2 and 50B2L with the side by side triggers, because if they weren't totally anachronistic and overpriced ($4700) they wouldn't be Bach. That's the same price as a Yamaha YBL-830.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

tbonesullivan wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:50 pm
ZacharyThornton wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:54 pm The worse set up and an L bell? I would put it even lower at like $1200 unfortunately.
They did say it has a 9 1/2 bell though, so Maybe it's just a 50B2?

Of course even TODAY Bach makes the 50B2 and 50B2L with the side by side triggers, because if they weren't totally anachronistic and overpriced ($4700) they wouldn't be Bach. That's the same price as a Yamaha YBL-830.
Yeah I just figured because the model number would imply the bigger bell.
But yeah that horn is way outdated. I don’t understand why it isn’t updated.
And I hope I am not coming across too harsh on Bach. I love those guys! And they make great horns!
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

ZacharyThornton wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:45 pmYeah I just figured because the model number would imply the bigger bell.
But yeah that horn is way outdated. I don’t understand why it isn’t updated.
And I hope I am not coming across too harsh on Bach. I love those guys! And they make great horns!
I do think they deserve it a bit, charging what they do for horns that had the R&D finished on them decades ago, with valves, wraps, and linkages they refuse to improve. They still use that undersized gooseneck on the Bach 42, even though they used to have an option for the "M" gooseneck. Of course, you could then upgrade to one of their premium outsourced valves.

Kinda really suspicious of a company that is huge and says they are awesome when can't improve their own "in house" valves and have to get them made by outside contractors. Even a much smaller company like Kanstul manage to make their own in house, and even developed a new patented design.

The kinda remind me of the Motorcycles made by Harley Davidson. They are supposed to be THE BEST, but when you buy one, you find out they have all these "upgrades" to make them EVEN BETTER. If they were already the best, why would they need to be made better?

Sorry, just a bit of a rant. They do make a great product, but it could be that much better, but they are run by a corporation now, who cares more about how an instrument is marketed than how it is made.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone

Return to “Instruments”