Keys for self-taught

Aliastar

Keys for self-taught

Post by Aliastar »

I'm a self-taught musician if it's possible to call me a musician. About half a year ago I've started making beats with FL Studio 20. I discovered that I really like composing music and bought MIDI-keyboard, but I understand that I don't have enough piano skills to do my best with MIDI, so I decided to buy a piano. Please, advise me on choosing the right piano, thanks.
p.s. My background is 4 years of guitar, 2 years of flute, 3 months of trombone. Is it possible to learn to play it myself? If you have any resources(youtube channels with music theory or any literature), please feel free to share it here.
Steerpike2

Re: Keys for self-taught

Post by Steerpike2 »

In the UK working, oldish pianos are usually available for free, just have to pay someone to move it and then after it's settled in, someone to tune it.
Aliastar

Post by Aliastar »

Steerpike2 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:32 am In the UK working, oldish pianos are usually available for free, just have to pay someone to move it and then after it's settled in, someone to tune it.
Since my last post, I was surfing the internet and ran into weighted keys. What do you think about buying them instead of the piano? I don't have much free place at home and I think it will be better to buy keys then the piano. I've never had keys before, but if I understood right, weighted keys similar to piano.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

A keyboard with 88 full-sized keys should be a decent substitute for a piano. It really depends on the electronics. Some sound good and some sound awful. Weighted keys simulate the action of a piano and you may like it or not. Probably need to try it out first.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
mbtrombone

Post by mbtrombone »

A full 88 weighted key keyboard will be only a little smaller in footprint than a good console or upright piano when set up to play. The advantage will be portability and you can store the keyboard elsewhere if you need the space in a pinch. I personally had a great Kawai console at my parents. It was beautiful sounding. It was shorter by just a bit than the bottom of the window it sat under. I like the feel of real pianos over weighted keys, but if you don’t plan on playing it as a primary and just are looking to have a ton of fun weighted keys work well!
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

You mentioned you already have a MIDI keyboard. Is it more of a touch pad system, or is it set up like a standard piano keyboard?

If you are just using it for midi input, I don't think weighted keys are really necessary.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

tbonesullivan wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:55 am You mentioned you already have a MIDI keyboard. Is it more of a touch pad system, or is it set up like a standard piano keyboard?

If you are just using it for midi input, I don't think weighted keys are really necessary.
When my kids took piano lessons their progress took off when we got a digital with decent weighted keys. I think they are essential for learning, but probably not for MIDI input. Organists don't have weighted keys, but they learn on a piano first, mostly.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Aliastar wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:52 am
Steerpike2 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:32 am In the UK working, oldish pianos are usually available for free, just have to pay someone to move it and then after it's settled in, someone to tune it.
Since my last post, I was surfing the internet and ran into weighted keys. What do you think about buying them instead of the piano? I don't have much free place at home and I think it will be better to buy keys then the piano. I've never had keys before, but if I understood right, weighted keys similar to piano.
You can buy a midi keyboard/console with weighted keys, and run it through your computer in Frooty Loops 20 (my favorite DAW! you have good taste!). There is a sound library called "Piano in 162" that is FREE and will likely sound better than anything on board, especially if you set up your reverb and EQ. Latency probably won't be too bad for live practice, especially if your computer is fast and can handle a tiny buffer. It works with Kontakt (not the free Kontakt Player), but they have a download option (.SFZ, I think) that works with a free sound library player as well.

http://ivyaudio.com/Piano-in-162
Aliastar

Post by Aliastar »

tbonesullivan wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:55 am You mentioned you already have a MIDI keyboard. Is it more of a touch pad system, or is it set up like a standard piano keyboard?

My MIDI has 2 octaves, I think it's not enough for playing :( I have AKAI mpk mini mk2
BGuttman wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:35 am A keyboard with 88 full-sized keys should be a decent substitute for a piano. It really depends on the electronics. Some sound good and some sound awful. Weighted keys simulate the action of a piano and you may like it or not. Probably need to try it out first.
Thanks for the info. If you were buying keys for yourself, in what price range would be you looking for? I found a list of keys, but they cost from $250 to $1250. Is there such a big difference between them? I want to buy a work-horse. I don't need it to be the best model, I'll be quite satisfied with the durability and normal sound. Open to any other options too, of course.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I would check local craigslist, if you can. I picked up a very nice weighted key Casio Privia for $300. Unless it's trashed, it should be good. I have one that is 10 years old now, but the piano sounds were VERY well done, and the action feels great.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
keybone

Post by keybone »

The Yamaha P-125 is an excellent 88 key keyboard. A lot of pros use it. The P-121 is virtually the same, but with 73 keys. Prices at Sweetwater are $649/$599. I have a similar Roland, but they don’t have my model anymore (and I haven’t been shopping!).

Return to “Instruments”