Trombone materials

Jose999

Trombone materials

Post by Jose999 »

Hi folks! I'm in 2ond course of my bachelor degree and Soon I am going to go to Adams to test several trombones and pick one. The problem is that I I don't know much about materials and there are also many brands and a lot of possible combinations and I don't want to go crazy testing. So I want to know a little about the materials in advance. I have seen that the most typical for the bell are yellow brass (the most brilliant) gold brass, and red brass (warm, rich sound), but I have some questions, Which one is the lightest with the fastest and easiest response? Which one holds better the loud dynamics? and Which one feels better in the high register and which in the low?
I know that each instrument is something personal and you have to prove them, but
I prefer to know more about this before testing 50 trombones! bye
SwissTbone

Re: Trombone materials

Post by SwissTbone »

I'm going to say something you won't like.

You have a great opportunity to test trombones with an open mind. Stop reading this forum. Stop reading about trombone materials. At last until your visit at Adam's

Then go in with an open mind and open ears. Take someone with you whose ears you trust. Take your time. If you can, don't choose on the first day.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

What does your teacher suggest? What do you currently play? What isn't it doing that you think another horn may change/improve? Why do you feel you need to change?
vetsurginc

Post by vetsurginc »

Worth taking your teacher! Did this with a tuba purchase. Well worth the cost of a lesson or two.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

There is no prediction you can make about how a given trombone will play based on the material.

You just have to try them. Sorry, but there are way too many exceptions to any common wisdom about what any alloy does.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

If you really want to make the most out of visiting Adams, you would want to test 50 trombones. That's the whole point of going to where they have a bunch of them. There are many stories of people who went to Shires and Edwards ending up with something very different than what they thought they wanted.

Now, does Adams have all of these various trombone configurations on hand? I do not think that their system is modular, so I don't know if you'll be able to play test a bunch of different configurations.

I would VERY much recommend contacting adams, telling them what your current setup is, and what you are looking to get out of a new trombone.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone

Return to “Instruments”