Martin Urbie Green Trombone

bobroden

Martin Urbie Green Trombone

Post by bobroden »

What year did the Martin Urbie Green model (TR4501) first become available?
DaveAshley

Re: Martin Urbie Green Trombone

Post by DaveAshley »

I believe it was 1975 to 1976.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

That sounds about right. I met Urbie around that time - maybe year or two later, A few of my fellow students from Manhattan School of Music found out that Urbie was playing club date w/a rhythm section at Michael's Pub in NYC. About 5 of us went and sat at a table up front and clapped like crazy after every tune. He quickly realized that we were trombonists, and he came and sat with us on a break. He could not have born nicer, an he told us he was playing his Martin model. That night, he was also trying out the mouthpiece that came with the horn, an he said he had tried to give the rim more "bite", so he put it on a lathe in his home workshop. It looked like a cookie cutter, and he showed us a big red ring on his chops. He still sounded amazing, but he said he was dumping the mouthpiece when he got home. No backup piece, and he played strong all night, as the only horn on the gig. What an amazing player, and class act!

Jim Scott
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

There were two versions. The earlier one had a 7 1/2" bell. The later one had an 8" bell and the characteristic curved hand brace on the slide. I believe that is the one most of us think of when we think of the Martin Urbie Green trombone and it is the better of the two versions, IMO.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

ArbanRubank wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:16 am There were two versions. The earlier one had a 7 1/2" bell. The later one had an 8" bell and the characteristic curved hand brace on the slide. I believe that is the one most of us think of when we think of the Martin Urbie Green trombone and it is the better of the two versions, IMO.

Before Martin were bought out, the Urbie had options on bell size, also short tuning slide, I had one from DJ that was 71/2 inch bell short tuning slide and was at he best Urbie I have played.....personal choice never a fan of 8 inch .500 horns
DaveAshley

Post by DaveAshley »

My Urbie (as well as the other one I owned) both have exactly 7 5/8 inch bells.

All 4501's have the curved handgrip.
djkennedy

Post by djkennedy »

Will be selling one soon!!! Nn

Return to “Instruments”