https://www.thomannmusic.com/thomann_cl ... b480_l.htm

?

From photographs, it looks structurally identical to the JP Rath 236:
https://www.jpmusicalinstruments.com/pr ... o-trombone

Thanks.
StephenK

Re: Thomann TEB480 L Alto

Post by StephenK »

It's less than half the price of the JP236, at least in the UK.
They do look remarkably similar. The Thomann has a slightly smaller bore size (.480") than the JP236 (.490").
slipperyjoe

Post by slipperyjoe »

Factoring in shipping and tax, the Thomann is ~1/4 the price of the JP in the U.S. Makes me wonder if we are paying a premium.

I didn't notice the difference in bore size, although Dillon lists the JP bore as .481".

The JP138, Thomann TF-300 Junior Trombone and Schiller equivalent in Bb/C also look nearly identical to one another, with similar price differentials.

Interesting.
Last edited by slipperyjoe on Fri May 22, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

It's interesting to me that they also sell the usual K&H clone as the SL-35. I've always wondered how they compare and if the TEB480 is worth the higher price.

The TEB480, TF-300, and SL-5 are all pretty tempting, if they're good that is.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

A lot of the price difference is QC. If Thomann works like Woodwind/Brasswind, there's a heap of boxes in the warehouse and the next one on top goes to you. It may be good or it may not. Sorta like playing a slot machine.

Packer, Wessex, and some other sellers actually QC the horns and either send back or eat the bad ones. If they eat the bad ones, there's your price difference.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

BGuttman wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:08 pmIf they eat the bad ones, there's your price difference.
That's gotta be hard to stomach!
slipperyjoe

Post by slipperyjoe »

BGuttman wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:08 pm A lot of the price difference is QC. If Thomann works like Woodwind/Brasswind, there's a heap of boxes in the warehouse and the next one on top goes to you. It may be good or it may not. Sorta like playing a slot machine.

Packer, Wessex, and some other sellers actually QC the horns and either send back or eat the bad ones. If they eat the bad ones, there's your price difference.

That would be my guess.

I picked up an Eb cavalry trumpet from Thomann a few months. There was an initialed QC inspection card in the case, but who knows if anyone looked it over carefully. It was ridiculously cheap and plays well, so I got lucky on that one.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Finetales wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:12 pm
BGuttman wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:08 pmIf they eat the bad ones, there's your price difference.
That's gotta be hard to stomach!

It works if you have a cast iron stomach ;)

It's a cost of doing business if you want to sell cheap horns made in China. I remember that Horn Guys stopped selling their Chinese alto because it became too unreliable.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
slipperyjoe

Post by slipperyjoe »

BGuttman wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:03 pm It works if you have a cast iron stomach ;)
Sounds like a recipe for galvanic corrosion. :wink:
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

I tried one out at Thomann when I was last passing by the Thomann shop and was fairly impressed with it. I also tried the SL-35.

Based on the examples I tried, I would have been more likely to buy the TEB480 as I preferred the warmer sound and the slide was smoother than the SL-35. I felt more comfortable with the intonation on the TEB480 also. The TEB480 was in my opinion a very playable instrument, I can’t say anything about how well it lasts or how it works in an ensemble as I only tried it in the shop.

Why didn’t I buy it? My choice was between the new TEB480 and a good deal on a used Yamaha 671. I went with the used Yamaha but had it not been available I’d have probably been about 99% as happy with the Thomann for significantly less money.

I don’t know how it is in the US but here in Europe Thomann are very good about returns so if you get a dud it’d probably be possible to return/exchange (check the T’s and C’s in your location).
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

MrHCinDE wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:32 pm I don’t know how it is in the US but here in Europe Thomann are very good about returns so if you get a dud it’d probably be possible to return/exchange (check the T’s and C’s in your location).
:good: :good: :good:
the service from Thomann germany is +++++
If the instrument is bad, you can sent it back within 14 days and money back garantie
bwanamfupi

Post by bwanamfupi »

I've had good experience buying from Thomann and shipping to the US. I bought one of their flugelhorns for a family member, and some recorder accessories for myself. The recorder accessories are hard to find in the US, and the flugelhorn is a solid value for the price point (cheaper to buy from them and ship to the US). Their customer service folks told me that if I didn't like anything I would have to pay to ship it back to them, but they would ship the replacement to me for free. Some of their flugelhorn reviews are similar to previous posts in this thread about being hit-and-miss with the instrument that comes to you. As long as you understand that, I think they're a decent option. I'm not in the market for another trombone, but I do enjoy browsing their catalog.
Shawn Collins
Trombone hobbyist
Bach42t

Post by Bach42t »

BGuttman wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:08 pm A lot of the price difference is QC. If Thomann works like Woodwind/Brasswind, there's a heap of boxes in the warehouse and the next one on top goes to you. It may be good or it may not. Sorta like playing a slot machine.

HAHA, not to bash but I have to in this instance. You know WWBW I am pretty sure gets all the seconds from Conn-Selmer. I haven't ordered a horn from them that did not have some major issues. I have posted about it in the past with photos of unacceptable construction.

That being said, I ordered a wonderful Getzen 3062AF Bass and it was perfect out of the box.

Return to “Instruments”