Do you play bass or tenor? Double? And why?

vetsurginc

Re: Do you play bass or tenor? Double? And why?

Post by vetsurginc »

Started with Bach student tenor in elementary school and stuck with that through HS. Was off playing for a while (too much work in my primary job). Then started again when my son was in HS having fun with tuba and bass bone. Picked up again with a beater student horn, then an old (1943) Bach 16. Added a Bach 42 BO to fit with symphonic band and orchestra sound better.

Then added an beat up Holton 169 bass. Symphonic group needed bass player so shifted to mostly that and a little on the 42. When my son centered in on tuba (music ed major) he re-gifted the Holton TR180 I had got him back to me. Found more work with that than either the straight tenor or the 42. I love the bass range and the supporting and varied bass parts. Heck, I started working on BBb tuba some too (at least enough to play tuba Christmas with my son).

So bass work in symphonic band, pops orchestras and jazz groups, bass and 42 for straight orchestra depending on what is needed.

Keeps me on my toes staying up to snuff on both horns, and it's fun :lol:
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Tenor (small bore and large bore) and alto. The register is better for the music I want to make.
Leanit

Post by Leanit »

I play bass only to feel better about my tenor playing. I used to play alto for this reason, but I sold it.

My musical goals are (1) play better and (2) minimize effort. Big horns are work.
Blenky

Post by Blenky »

I’m about to join the ranks.

In my area there are lots of playing opportunities but in order to keep busy I need to play both Tenor and bass.

Just ordered myself a Rath R900 as a ‘special’ birthday treat and will no doubt be trying to decide on the best MP to use, but I won’t go there 😉
Conn 88HTCL
Yamaha YSL-640
Rath R900

Doug Elliot XT Silver103, Lexan103, G, G8, G4, EUPH Lexan103, I, I8
Oslide

Post by Oslide »

There's a reason why I play trombone. I need it simple. Straight tenor. :biggrin:
Ceterum censeo to fetch All of TTF

Return to “Instruments”