Bach Soloist Assumptions

Hobart

Bach Soloist Assumptions

Post by Hobart »

Alrighty so, I noticed this a couple months ago but I have never seen anybody acknowledge it. (For the record, all the pictures were from google searches so please don't break my arms.)

So, my friend plays on a Bach Soloist large bore tenor, I tried one but I wasn't a huge fan. Here is a picture I found on the internet of one: Image

Now, on my search for a cheaper large bore, I kept running across a Benge 165. This is a random picture I found of that horn: Image

Notable things are that the trigger wraps are basically identical, they both have a 0.547 bore, the bells are both rose brass 8 1/2 inch bells, and both have the King-style slide nut where it's on the slide instead of the bell, unusual for a Bach design.

Now, both Benge and Bach ended up under Conn-Selmer's corporate umbrella.
Is it just me, or does this seem like they reused the design of the Benge 165F, but put the Bach Soloist brand name on it, and passed it off as new?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Burgerbob

Re: Bach Soloist Assumptions

Post by Burgerbob »

Is this news? I thought it was well known.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
andym

Post by andym »

About things everyone knows...

https://xkcd.com/1053/
The user formerly known as amichael on TTF.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

The Conn 52H looks to share some of the same DNA, though more of a sibling than a twin.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:17 pm Is this news? I thought it was well known.
"Well known" to some does not mean known by all.

I learn many things every day that were already known by others. :idk:

Hobart is in high school – he has not been submerged in TromboneForum / TromboneChat folklore for years.

I for one was glad to learn that the Benge 165F is still alive under the assumed identity of Bach Soloist. I always thought it was superior to the Bach 4BF. (Does the Soloist still have the same string-actuated rotary valve?)

I do not follow the current activities of instrument manufacturers. How long has the Bach Soloist (née Benge 165F) been marketed? Does King still sell the King 4BF?
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I for one was glad to learn that the Benge 165F is still alive under the assumed identity of Bach Soloist. I always thought it was superior to the Bach 4BF. (Does the Soloist still have the same string-actuated rotary valve?)
Do they still sell the Bach soloist? I think it too is dead, presently. They did have the same string-actuated value though.
I do not follow the current activities of instrument manufacturers. How long has the Bach Soloist (née Benge 165F) been marketed? Does King still sell the King 4BF?
King 4BF is still marketed. I don't know when the soloist was marketed but afaik it was never anything other than Benge 165F, but I've only seen a few of them. I actually owned one for a few years. It was a good instrument especially for the price I got it for which was... I want to say sub $500 (used of course).
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

You're all right- my bad. I just saw this brought up elsewhere, I think.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher

Return to “Instruments”