Beater Large Bore Horn

Hobart

Beater Large Bore Horn

Post by Hobart »

Alright so, I was watching a Facebook live about my future college's band program, which is rather new.

Their instrument storage is a closet they share with the athletic department, and I am concerned about my Yamaha large bore horn being damaged or stolen. I don't want to keep it in the dorm room if I don't have to either, because I don't want to take up too much space in my room.

Would it be worth investing in a well-used medium or large bore F-attachment horn to keep on campus, or should I save the money?
If I should get one, are there any models that come to mind that are cheap but decent?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Burgerbob

Re: Beater Large Bore Horn

Post by Burgerbob »

I'd just get a nice case.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

Keep it in your room. That way you have complete control over what happens to it.
It won`t take up that much room. Don`t be lazy
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

How often do the band practice? If once or twice a week, with no class or anything before, I would just carry it to and back from the rehearsal. If there is something before it (during which it would be troublesome to keep an eye on it) I would get a hard case and locks, or even tracking device. But if you can, carrying it directly from your home/dorm to the rehearsal would be the best.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Yam cases are pretty light and the new ones are very compact.

Ebay used to be full of trombones. (I haven’t checked it for a while). You could probably find an old Yam on there. I’m not entirely sure of the model numbers. 682 was a .547 large bore, as was a 684 also, I think. There was also a 620 (or 640?) model.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Bach5G wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:56 am Yam cases are pretty light and the new ones are very compact.

Ebay used to be full of trombones. (I haven’t checked it for a while). You could probably find an old Yam on there. I’m not entirely sure of the model numbers. 682 was a .547 large bore, as was a 684 also, I think. There was also a 620 (or 640?) model.
The large bore Yammies are 643 (Conn 88H style), 648 (and its relative the 448), 682, and 620. There's also the 548 GOAL. Straight models are 647, 681, and 610. And the 88x Xeno variants. Note that 648 was replaced by 682, which was replaced by 620.

I picked up a Chinese copy of the 88HO for cheap which works OK for outdoor concerts where the subtleties of a fine horn are pretty much lost, but I really didn't like it for symphony.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

Carry your horn back to your dorm. I did it for years, it builds character.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

But he’s also worried about it being stolen which brings to mind that odd thread that went on and on, with many twists and turns to the story.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Bach5G wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:16 pm But he’s also worried about it being stolen which brings to mind that odd thread that went on and on, with many twists and turns to the story.
Oh good Lord I forgot about that one... I wonder if that thread still even exists. :eek:
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Clifton Walker is selling an early 90's 42BO on trombone market place in Longview TX right now for $550. it's large bore. $550 including shipping. Looks silver plated. No case unfortunately but get a case.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

A beater horn for marching band sounds like an excellent idea to me, whether or not theft is an issue.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Not really a beater horn – but a used Benge 165F in good shape is a heck of a deal!

https://trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14835
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

mrdeacon wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:17 pm
Bach5G wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:16 pm But he’s also worried about it being stolen which brings to mind that odd thread that went on and on, with many twists and turns to the story.
Oh good Lord I forgot about that one... I wonder if that thread still even exists. :eek:
I'm curious
I'd like to read it
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

8parktoollover wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:33 am
mrdeacon wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:17 pm
I'm curious
I'd like to read it
Found the "pawn shop Thein" and the "Edwards 454-e bass trombone" threads but neither were that long.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

timothy42b wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:23 pm
8parktoollover wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:33 am
I'm curious
I'd like to read it
Found the "pawn shop Thein" and the "Edwards 454-e bass trombone" threads but neither were that long.
I'm guessing he's referring to the "Help Identify TR-180" thread on the Trombone Forum. Those were fun times.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

brassmedic wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:54 pm
timothy42b wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:23 pm

I'm guessing he's referring to the "Help Identify TR-180" thread on the Trombone Forum. Those were fun times.
I checked the archives and there's nothing there
Oh well
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

8parktoollover wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:18 pm
Oh well
Yeah, I think it either got deleted or the archive doesn't go back that far. It was around fall of 2016 when it got interesting.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Oh well
Yeah that's my bad; that archive utility was one of the first things I built as a programmer because we couldn't get in touch with th eowner of the site. Turns out I made a mistake that I didn't catch until years later when the site went down and there's quite a bit of missing material :weep:
Tremozl

Post by Tremozl »

People can steal cheap horns too.

The first few suggestions are all spot on. If you're uncomfortable keeping very expensive stuff in a locker, and you should be, keep it with you. I was still in Uni for music about 3 years ago, and we had a card-swipe lock protecting the locker room. Despite this, someone (obviously with access to the locker room) still broke in and stole another person's clarinet.

I also walked to Uni about 20 minutes with a BBb Contra Trombone on my back. No, not every day, just when I wanted to have some fun. I also kept it in my apartment, which was literally a bed and a toilet. There was enough room for that in my life, so I'm sure you can find room for your Tenor :)
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Matt K wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:17 pm

Oh well
Yeah that's my bad; that archive utility was one of the first things I built as a programmer because we couldn't get in touch with th eowner of the site. Turns out I made a mistake that I didn't catch until years later when the site went down and there's quite a bit of missing material :weep:
Well the Reader's Digest version, without naming names, is: A person asked for help obtaining photos of what a TR-180 looks like. He gradually revealed more and more information as to why he wanted the photos. He claimed his son had been falsely accused of stealing a TR-180 from his school, and wanted to prove the trombone that was repossessed from his son was not the same trombone that was stolen. A lot of forum members rallied behind him, and some donated to a fund raiser. But a couple of forum members questioned why we were taking this person at his word with no evidence that his story was true. The person went on to claim that the instrument facilities manager had "framed" his son by taking his trombone out of a locker, soldering on a receiver bearing the serial number of the stolen trombone, and placing it back in the locker. He claimed his son's trombone was not a TR-180, but was a "Frankenhorn" with a single valve, for which his son had a second valve installed by a prominent repair tech. He wanted to get the trombone back and clear his son's name. The son joined the thread at some point, and added more details of what happened. But then it turned out that the son had posted earlier in another thread about a TR-180 that he claimed to have bought in a pawn shop for $50, which was around the time that the TR-180 had gone missing from the school. Oops. Now he claimed to have been mistaken when he called it a TR-180 earlier. The thread got kind of ugly at that point, and eventually was locked, if I remember right.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

It’s being made into a Netflix series.

Not.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Bach5G wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 5:55 pm It’s being made into a Netflix series.
X-Rated? :idk:
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Called "Trigger King".
gbedinger

Post by gbedinger »

Be satisfied with reading Brad’s (BrassMedic) version so you don’t have to. That was the most inappropriate thread of all time.
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

ןI don't usually watch tv shows but I'd definitely watch that

Not.
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

8parktoollover wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:35 am

ןI don't usually watch tv shows but I'd definitely watch that

WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Right! That thread. I got involved in that fiasco on the old forum. Something definitely rotten there. LOL!

Return to “Instruments”