Edwards vs Getzen custom

bass

Edwards vs Getzen custom

Post by bass »

Whats the difference between these horns? Specifically their basses
Kevbach33

Re: Edwards vs Getzen custom

Post by Kevbach33 »

The Getzen Custom Series is built with what the company calls the most popular specs from the Edwards basses. Edwards, as you can probably guess, can be truly customized with your choice of bell, valve section, tuning slide and hand slide. Even so, there are small differences:

1. The mountings for the bell are in different locations.

2. The Edwards has the edge bracing system, which frees up the bell from invasive bracing. The Getzen has the older style of bracing with tabs. (Only applies to large tenors and basses.)

3. The slide tenons are different. It's my understanding that Getzen slides can be used on Conn bell sections. Edwards states their slides can work on Bach bell sections.

Only the tuning slides and leadpipes are interchangeable between Edwards and the Getzen Custom Series.

I'm sure there are other differences, but these should help you get started.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino, Perantucci PT-84-S
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
braymond21

Post by braymond21 »

Here's a few links where they explain the differences a bit
https://www.edwards-instruments.com/new ... en-custom/

https://www.getzen.com/faq/#edwards
Bryce Raymond
Owner/Repair Tech, Raymond Music
https://www.raymondmusic.com
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Just came into say that they are ALL great pro level horns. For many people. The Getzen Custom series horns, or even Custom Reserve, will work just fine.

However if you really want that extra level of fine tuning, getting fit at the Edwards shop for a horn would be another way to go.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Be careful with some of the Getzen “pro level” horns. Many of the parts that appear to be nickel-silver are merely brass that is plated with nickel. If a “nickel-silver” section needs repair or dent work, it only takes a few seconds on the buffing wheel for the brass to show through.

I don’t know if Getzen uses nickel-plated parts on their Custom Series bass trombones, but I have seen it a lot on their Eterna Series 1052 and 1062 horns. They use plating on braces, flanges and saddles for levers.

I’m sure there will be someone who says “but the Eterna 1052 and 1062 are not professional-grade instruments.” Let’s please remember that David Taylor played on a 1062 model and Getzen used his professional status to market that instrument for many years.

As far as I know, all of the nickel-silver parts on Edwards horns are solid nickel-silver. I have not seen any brass come through on any nickel Edwards parts that I have sanded or buffed.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:46 am Be careful with some of the Getzen “pro level” horns. Many of the parts that appear to be nickel-silver are merely brass that is plated with nickel. If a “nickel-silver” section needs repair or dent work, it only takes a few seconds on the buffing wheel for the brass to show through.
That's somewhat odd. I would think the cost of plating the parts would negate any economy from using the different alloy.
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

tbonesullivan wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:29 pm
Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:46 am Be careful with some of the Getzen “pro level” horns. Many of the parts that appear to be nickel-silver are merely brass that is plated with nickel. If a “nickel-silver” section needs repair or dent work, it only takes a few seconds on the buffing wheel for the brass to show through.
That's somewhat odd. I would think the cost of plating the parts would negate any economy from using the different alloy.
They (or at least used to) do all the plating in house. Really isn’t an expensive process to add if you have the stuff to do it.

And even the Edwards parts used to be plated. Didn’t like that then, still don’t like it now. Brass for a handgrip is fine, just leave it brass. Same for a ferrule, who cares when the nickel view is really only cosmetic?

Cheers,
Andy
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I believe the 3508 horns have chrome plated handgrips too. Perhaps they do that for others and it makes sense for those horns to just make a bunch of cork barrels in brass and put the "appropriate" level of finish on them for that "level" of horn.
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

I know we still do our own plating. I am currently furloughed because of the stay at home order in Wisconsin (along with everyone else), but I am fairly sure that older model Getzen Custom and Edwards horns had brass cork barrels with nickel plating. That is not how they are done anymore, they are a piece of nickel not just coated (I am fairly certain and can ask when we all get back to work).
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

ZacharyThornton wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:16 pm I know we still do our own plating. I am currently furloughed because of the stay at home order in Wisconsin (along with everyone else), but I know that older model Getzen Custom and Edwards horns had brass cork barrels with nickel plating. That is not how they are done anymore, they are a piece of nickel not just coated (I am fairly certain and can ask when we all get back to work).
GBP

Post by GBP »

ZacharyThornton wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:17 pm
ZacharyThornton wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:16 pm I know we still do our own plating. I am currently furloughed because of the stay at home order in Wisconsin (along with everyone else), but I know that older model Getzen Custom and Edwards horns had brass cork barrels with nickel plating. That is not how they are done anymore, they are a piece of nickel not just coated (I am fairly certain and can ask when we all get back to work).
That is what I remember. I know my 2000 Getzen had plating. The slide I have bought in the last 5 years are all solid nickel and my 502 is solid nickel as well.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Well. the nickel is a bit more resilient than brass, so the plating would help with corrosion. Also I think Earl Williams was big on the idea of trombones being made all from the same alloy. Not sure if it really matters.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

tbonesullivan wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:56 pm Well. the nickel is a bit more resilient than brass, so the plating would help with corrosion. Also I think Earl Williams was big on the idea of trombones being made all from the same alloy. Not sure if it really matters.
*a tiny bit. I have a trombone downstairs from 1925... the brass is fine.

I think they nickel plated because they could and those parts are nickel on Bachs and Conns. Kanstuls seem just fine with brass parts.

Cheers,
Andy
pedrombon

Post by pedrombon »

I can understand that solid nickel may be necessary in contact areas due to its hardness (handgrip), but in ferrules and other parts I think it is not so essential.
Sonas Artist
Granada Brass
Orquesta Ciudad de Almería
GBP

Post by GBP »

All I really cared about is that the horn played well. If I was a Thayer type player, I would still own that Getzen.

Return to “Instruments”