Rath valves

WiltshireBone

Rath valves

Post by WiltshireBone »

I'm interested in buying a Rath R3F or R4F and plan to visit the factory workshop once the lockdown is over.

One question I have - what is the Rath rotary valve like?

I've tried several R4Fs which friends own but these all have the Hagman valve. I like the free blowing nature of this, but its action seems slow compared to the rotaries I'm used to.

Can any offer feedback on a Rath rotary valve trombone that they regularly play - action, and response through the register?

Thanks.
stewbones43

Re: Rath valves

Post by stewbones43 »

I think the rotary valves used by Raths on the R3f,R4f,R8f and R9f are the Swiss made Rotax valves. When these first came out, I tested an R4f fitted with one and was blown away by it. I couldn't justify changing my 88H at the time but when I have worn that one out, I will seriously consider an R4f with Rotax valves as a replacement.

Cheers

Stewbones
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

smoothest most luxurious rotary valve I've ever owned. I like the way the Hagmanns blow better, but the rotax valve is exceptionally good.
Trav1s

Post by Trav1s »

Love the Rotax valve and it is a great match to Raths. The R3F I played at ITF left me with a serious case of want and envy.
Travis B.
Trombone player since 1986 and Conn-vert since 2006
1961 24H - LT101/C+/D2
1969 79H - LT102/D/D4
1972 80H - Unicorn
Benge 165F LT102/F+/G8
johntarr

Post by johntarr »

When I was lucky enough to get to go to the factory to pick out my R3F, I had planned to get the Haagman because I thought I would like the more open feel and it looks cool. The Rotax played much better for me in that it added a sense of weight or slight resistance that gave the sound a bit more core. Of course these are just my subjective feelings but I had a friend with me and he also liked the Rotax better. The other thing is that it’s just a really well made valve.
diminishedSeventh

Post by diminishedSeventh »

I tried a Wilson horn with a rotax some time ago--really quick action compared to a Hagmann and especially an Axial valve...
FeelMyRath

Post by FeelMyRath »

Rath also have their own valve coming out on the new R6
Making the world better, one note at a time

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
BoomtownRath

Post by BoomtownRath »

I've owned a R4F and a R9 with Hagmann valves. I've also owned a willson 551 which had Rotax valves which were fantastic so when I heard Mick was installing Rotax valves on his Trombones I visited the factory and walked out with a R4FST with a Rotax valve....... For me it played better than with a Hagmann valve and I found Hagmann's a pain to keep them operating well, but most of all I prefer a valve with a little resistance and Rotax provided that. Hands down the best valve I've ever used. I'm intrigued how the new valve on the R6 plays. When I was last at the factory (2013) Mick showed me a 3D computer model of it as an engineer I was impressed with the design, I will wait until he installs the new in-house designed valve on to a Bass before I fly to the UK again.

Return to “Instruments”