Shires equivalent to Gen 2 Conn 88 HO

FOSSIL

Re: Shires equivalent to Gen 2 Conn 88 HO

Post by FOSSIL »

Yeah.... I don't think Ian can afford the Greenhoe...shame, think what he could be with one of those....

Chris
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

FOSSIL wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:33 am Yeah.... I don't think Ian can afford the Greenhoe...shame, think what he could be with one of those....

Chris
Hahahaha!

"Ian Bousfield looked down at his signature model Getzen trombone with despair, all the while lusting after a Greenhoe he couldn't afford to break contract and play. Think of the things I could do with that horn. If only my name had been Greenhoe, he thought."

Good one! Not likely!
ChadA

Post by ChadA »

FOSSIL wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:33 am Yeah.... I don't think Ian can afford the Greenhoe...shame, think what he could be with one of those....

Chris

:?:

Not sure what you're getting after with that. The Bousfield horn is great, as I said.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

ChadA wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:15 am Not sure what you're getting after with that. The Bousfield horn is great, as I said.
It's a joke, dude, lighten up. Implying that Bousfield doesn't play a Greenhoe because he can't afford it. Obviously not serious.
ChadA

Post by ChadA »

Who implied he couldn't afford it? Must have missed that post...

Not upset, just confused. :)
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

ChadA wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:27 am Who implied he couldn't afford it? Must have missed that post...

Not upset, just confused. :)
I said it... as was said, it was a joke. ... your post just before it could have been interpreted as implying that the Getzen is inferior to the Greenhoe, which struck me as amusing in the context of one of the world's greatest players choosing to use one.

Chris
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Hah, I didn't expect that comment to blow up. I read that this morning before all these extra comments and I didn't get that impression at all. Just that for Chad, the Greenhoe 88 works better than the Getzen but are both good horns.

I can't speak for him, but I get the impression that money has largely not been a concern for him as far as horns. What's interesting to me about that though is the divergence in his endorsement horns. If you were to give me a 682B and then the Getzen Bousfield, I would probably not guess they were endorsed by the same person. Which isn't a slight to Ian at all. I'm sure he had very compelling reasons for what he was playing at any given point in his career. But you compare that with say, Doug Yeo who has had two artist models from Yamaha and the 622 and 822 models and the ones I've played are pretty comparable to one another. Although there are obvious differences between their careers and it looks like Doug is now rocking some Butler components so perhaps not such a great comparison either way!
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

IT WAS A JOKE .....A JOKE....

So anything light hearted no longer has a place here... shame.

Chris
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Matt K wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:37 am Hah, I didn't expect that comment to blow up. I read that this morning before all these extra comments and I didn't get that impression at all. Just that for Chad, the Greenhoe 88 works better than the Getzen but are both good horns.

I can't speak for him, but I get the impression that money has largely not been a concern for him as far as horns. What's interesting to me about that though is the divergence in his endorsement horns. If you were to give me a 682B and then the Getzen Bousfield, I would probably not guess they were endorsed by the same person. Which isn't a slight to Ian at all. I'm sure he had very compelling reasons for what he was playing at any given point in his career. But you compare that with say, Doug Yeo who has had two artist models from Yamaha and the 622 and 822 models and the ones I've played are pretty comparable to one another. Although there are obvious differences between their careers and it looks like Doug is now rocking some Butler components so perhaps not such a great comparison either way!
The 682b was of course designed for the quirky acoustics of the festival hall......remember they are what led Denis to design the 4 al
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

FOSSIL wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:43 am IT WAS A JOKE .....A JOKE....

Chris

I thought it was funny
GBP

Post by GBP »

FOSSIL wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:43 am IT WAS A JOKE .....A JOKE....

Chris
Probably more of a stress induced response to your joke than anything else. I am currently teaching beginning band without a way to actually hear or see them. I am responding to thing in ways I would normally wouldn’t.
ChadA

Post by ChadA »

FOSSIL wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:23 am I said it... as was said, it was a joke. ... your post just before it could have been interpreted as implying that the Getzen is inferior to the Greenhoe, which struck me as amusing in the context of one of the world's greatest players choosing to use one.

Chris
Not overall better or worse, just different. :) For me, the Getzen was clearly better in some ways; for me, the Greenhoe was better in others. The Greenhoe allows me to swap slides between my 88htg with a 4747 slide and my 8H with a 2547 slide, a huge plus and a major deciding factor. If I hadn't needed the money (meaning my wife said I couldn't keep them all :) ), I would have kept the Getzen for certain scenarios where it beat the Conn out and used the Conn for other scenarios where it fit me better. I loved the Getzen and miss it. And gads, my student sounds great on it! The 4147IB is a really great horn.

Ian is amazing and his opinions and preferences should carry some serious weight. Mine, less. :)
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

ChadA wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:22 pm
FOSSIL wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:23 am I said it... as was said, it was a joke. ... your post just before it could have been interpreted as implying that the Getzen is inferior to the Greenhoe, which struck me as amusing in the context of one of the world's greatest players choosing to use one.

Chris
Not overall better or worse, just different. :) For me, the Getzen was clearly better in some ways; for me, the Greenhoe was better in others. The Greenhoe allows me to swap slides between my 88htg with a 4747 slide and my 8H with a 2547 slide, a huge plus and a major deciding factor. If I hadn't needed the money (meaning my wife said I couldn't keep them all :) ), I would have kept the Getzen for certain scenarios where it beat the Conn out and used the Conn for other scenarios where it fit me better. I loved the Getzen and miss it. And gads, my student sounds great on it! The 4147IB is a really great horn.

Ian is amazing and his opinions and preferences should carry some serious weight. Mine, less. :)
No No....I didn't think your opinion was a joke... I don't know you or anything about you.... I was amused at the potential for misinterpretation, that's all... I didn't intend to compare your opinion with Ian's or appear to do that at all.
I should know that any attempt at humour backfires here.... always....

Chris
ChadA

Post by ChadA »

FOSSIL wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:48 pm No No....I didn't think your opinion was a joke... I don't know you or anything about you.... I was amused at the potential for misinterpretation, that's all... I didn't intend to compare your opinion with Ian's or appear to do that at all.
I should know that any attempt at humour backfires here.... always....

Chris
Chris,
We're all good here. :) No worries. I never took your post(s) as any personal indictment on me or my opinion(s) or that you thought they were jokes. I was just confused how we got from my post to talking about what Ian could afford. Humor is good; I just didn't get the joke... :)

Back to the thread? :) Anyone who is interested in modern interpretations of a Conn should try the Getzen Bousfield horn.

Return to “Instruments”