BAC Paseo thoughts

MagnumH

BAC Paseo thoughts

Post by MagnumH »

Anyone got any other opinions on the BAC Paseo trombone? I just tried one (yellow bell, not copper) at ATW and it’s far and away my favorite horn I tried there. I was focusing in on .500 - .508 bores. The only thing to come close was the good old 3B Jazz, and I found I didn’t enjoy the Raths or the Shires Michael Davis + as much as I expected. But the bac blew me away.

Having read through the forums a bit I’ve noticed some...conflicting opinions on them as a company. But mostly I’m intrigued by this horn - the sound was just so even and so huge across the range.
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
BGuttman

Re: BAC Paseo thoughts

Post by BGuttman »

If you like the sound you get, it's a good horn. Mike makes some really oddball designs and some pretty good ones. Most of the complaints have been about business things, like having to wait and customer service issues.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
FullPedalTrombonist

Post by FullPedalTrombonist »

I’ve defended BAC enough with my own experience being positive. The main thing is you like the horn. The next thing is if you sound good in the situations you’re going to use the horn.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

I have yet to try a BAC that I liked, but some people love them. If you like it that's all that matters!
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

Unoriginal, unimaginative, utter bollocks.

B.A.C.=Big and Crappy.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

Thrawn22 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:18 pm Unoriginal, unimaginative, utter bollocks.

B.A.C.=Big and Crappy.
Yes, but do you like them? :shuffle:

Cheers

Stewbones
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

I can't stand the guy that makes them... but I have to admit, some of them play pretty well.
RJMason

Post by RJMason »

My advice is if if you like that specific instrument I would get it. If you order the same horn with the same specs it can’t be guaranteed that it will play exactly the same.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

If you like the dual bore in that size, the only other horn that I'm aware of is the Getzen 3508Y. It would be worth considering trying one if you could get your hands on it. I quite like the smaller upper tube with a larger lower tube myself... personally working on a Yamaha version of that with a 500/525 slide (356 with a few bell section options). Those would also be worth trying out but they play "bigger" than the Getzen and probably this BAC.
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

I'd agree that if you like the sound and feel of the horn,then it's a good one for you. My experience with BAC has been with their restoration services, which for me was terrific. I'm sure they, like many newer, expanding companies, have things to improve on. Some of their designs are a little odd visually, however, and from what I have seen on some of their pro horns, the prices are really high. Too rich for my blood!
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

Thanks all! Much appreciated. To update you all - I did get it, and I'm loving it so far! Chops are initially killing me after a 4 hour gig but the sound and quality of it is perfect.
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C

Return to “Instruments”