Need Buying Advice - Looking for 2 Trombones

RustyTrombonist

Need Buying Advice - Looking for 2 Trombones

Post by RustyTrombonist »

Hi! I'm brand new to the forum. I started looking for a second Olds O-25 over the weekend and I quickly realized that they're very tough to find and quite expensive. I'd love to hear opinions on horns that I should be looking for as well as places to look (I've only looked at eBay so far). Also, if there are places NOT to look, please tell me to avoid them.

TROMBONE #1: I'd like to find a nice second horn for my high schooler. He's currently playing my mid-1970s Olds O-25. He's in symphonic band, pit orchestra, marching band, and a big band jazz group. Advice?

TROMBONE #2: I'm hoping to find a horn for myself. I haven't played in 35+ years but I did a bit last spring and enjoyed it. I'd be playing in a community band. I really like the large bore Olds, but I'm open to other ideas. I just don't want a student horn (although I'm sure they're perfectly fine).

Thanks!
BGuttman

Re: Need Buying Advice - Looking for 2 Trombones

Post by BGuttman »

Lots of choices here.

You won't have an easy time finding an Olds anything -- they have been out of business for over 40 yeas. The good news is that there are a lot of different makers producing some really good instruments. To some extent you are only limited by your budget.

I assume the Olds is still in good playing shape. It's a great horn for symphonic band or orchestra, good for pit band, and something I'd hate to march with (just because of the hazards involved).

I can also assume both of you are familiar with the F-attachment.

First question is about you son. Is he playing a lead pat in Jazz Band (i.e. 1st or 2nd)? If so you might want to get him a small bore. An inexpensive option is a good student horn like a King 606 or Yamaha 354. Better is a pro horn like a King 3B, Conn 6H, Yamaha 691, etc. If he wants an F-attachment, there is the King 3B with F. I like the idea of a student hon for the marching band. for the most part you don't need the trigger notes (and they wouldn't be head on a football field anyway). Certainly if you are quite flush, look at the Shires, Rath, or Edwards instruments but I don't usually recommend them for most kids.

For you I would suggest a medium or large bore with F attachment. There are many different brands: Bach, Benge, Conn, Holton, King, and Yamaha. There are some good intermediate level instruments from Weril, Jupiter, Wessex Tubas, Jim Laabs. Make sure you buy a Chinese made instrument from a reputable dealer since the quality control can be abysmal and while you may find a good one now and then, more are unplayable. Again, if you are flush consider the Shires, Rath, Edwards, M&W, etc.

I generally recommend staying away from Ebay unless you have an idea of what you are looking for. A good retailer will make sure you don't get a dud. Big selections of used instruments are generally at Dillon Music in New Jersey and Hornguys in Los Angeles. A good private dealer is DJ Kennedy (he generally frequents the Trombone Chat Facebook page). DJ has a house full (literally) of used but good playing trombones and if anybody has another O-25 (or O-23) he probably does.

Good luck. I'm sure you will get too many recommendations.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
RustyTrombonist

Post by RustyTrombonist »

Bruce, thanks so much! This is extremely helpful information. I wish I could say that the budget was no object, but I've got three kids approaching college age (yikes!). Maybe some day I can look at the Shires, Rath, or Edwards. I'll check out the vendors that you suggested and see what they have. Again, thank you for taking the time to be so thorough in your response! Kind regards, Laura
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Try contacting DJ Kennedy he has a large selection of vintage horns
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Sent PM (Personal Message)

Return to “Instruments”