Olds S-24G Bass Trombone - Tell Me More

Neo Bri

Olds S-24G Bass Trombone - Tell Me More

Post by Neo Bri »

Hey there. I've never seen one of these in the flesh, so to speak. Anyone have any personal insight? I read the page below, which gives a less-than-flattering review of the horn, but I'm still intrigued.

http://www.itsabear.com/horns/P24G_S24G/P24G_S24G.html

Looks nice, anyway.
Burgerbob

Re: Olds S-24G Bass Trombone - Tell Me More

Post by Burgerbob »

Cool horns, not sure where I would use one today.

I think the single valve examples are just a bit better in all ways... the doubles have crazy ergonomics, and the small valves really restrict the horn.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I've never played the S, but I've owned the P24g and it was one of my favorites. I think the smaller valves might doom the S. The P has a very clear sound. Great for big band where you compete with a strong Bari player. One of the best of the small basses. Olds are very under rated - that said, ergonomics are questionable.

I also have a S20, originally a single valve small bass that I put a Duo Gravis valve set on. It doesn't have all the nickel silver, but it does get on it when you need a lot of edge or bite to complement the tuba. S20 has TIS 9" bell, 555/565 slide.
Last edited by hyperbolica on Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

You could always get one and have the valves replaced. That said I'm sure there are some who have no problems with them, and are quite happy with the S-24 as it came.

I have always wanted to try some Olds basses though. They are a bit unique, with the all nickel silver body and slide with a rose brass bell.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I should say that I had a beater S22 at some point. I really liked it, use it for a run of Carmina Burana. A version of that with a larger valve would be very interesting.

Keep in mind the bell throats are quite small on all these horns.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

As the author of the article in question, I'm afraid I have little to add. The S-24G in uncomfortable to play. The small valves don't particularly bother me, but I'm used to playing on similar valves on LA-era Olds basses.
Last edited by JohnL on Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I have never played the older S-22 and S-24G. The P-22 and P24G are the ones I own. I have used both for big band and they were well received. The P-22 looks like a large bore tenor and I've came across one player who used one on third in a big band with a large shank tenor mouthpiece. It is not something I recommend, but I was fooled first until I recognized the model to be a bass trombone.
My trombones plays big, and even more open on the valve. I would use it for big band.

/Tom
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

The P-22 basses I have seen look to have a rather large bell throat, definitely bigger than what I've seen on a King 5B. There is one at Dillon Music now I was thinking of taking a look at, as a single valve bass has always appealed to me. I hesitated on a Kanstul single valve bass, not the G.R. model, but another model that was basically a Bach 50BO style horn. Didn't get that and I've kinda regretted it.

On the other hand, a second valve really does come in handy a lot, especially when there are lots of low Ds and Cs. I should just hunt down a Doug Yeo model.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Lornix

Post by Lornix »

I purchased one of these by mail as a Junior in high school in 1979 - and used it for over thirty years as my main (and for most of that time period - only) instrument.

At the time, I lived in a small college town - far from any place that sold high-end instruments - so did not really have a chance to comparison shop. Until playing with the Minneapolis Trombone Choir in the early 2000's, I was almost never around other bass trombone players - so I had little experience with what other bass trombones were like. This was my horn, and I learned to work with it.

I really appreciated the independent valve set up - and particularly liked the G valve for use in the mid-range of the horn. I never really noticed a problem with ergonomics (although, as noted above, I did not have any real basis for comparison). I did always find that low notes with both triggers deployed (mainly D, Db, C, and the occasional B natrual below the staff) felt somewhat stuffy.

A few years ago, I found and purchased a used Rath independent bass with Bollinger tuning (as close as I could find to my preferred F / G setup) - and Rotax rotary valves. I am still getting used to my second valve being tuned to a flat G rather than straight G. I do not notice any real stuffiness with both valves in use - so that downside of the Olds is substantially improved, and I also am appreciating the ease of a much newer slide.

I still have the Olds - and at some point will probably invest in having it restored, to correct various issues associated with age, and years of use.

On balance, I would say that the Olds S 24G is a horn that can serve as a good way to make music - but there are many good horns available today, and for most users, there are probably better options.
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

Just posted for sale if you are interested. Not mine.

https://www.trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12975
Steve
PSJ

Post by PSJ »

I got one my Freshman year in college and played it for about 7 or 8 years, through college and as a part time professional. I really don't remember any big problems but that was 40+ years ago. Did have Larry Minick re-do the trigger system and had Eric Swanson do one of his early open wraps. I don't think it was bad. I made it work and then found a better horn. Back then there weren't a whole lot of choices and where I lived not a lot of places to try those few choices.

I do own a P-24G as a back-up just because..........
Paul

Custom Getzen Custom 3062AF - Marcinkiewicz 1
And many, many others..........

Return to “Instruments”