Olds Super S-20?

pfcastor

Olds Super S-20?

Post by pfcastor »

This Olds trombone is up for sale on ebay. The posting states that it is an Old's Super model s-20.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FE-OLDS-SUPER- ... SwWEdd1wIm

This is a bit confusing as the pictures (Bell and Slide) and the Specs in the description match the specs in the olds catalogs for the Olds Super model S15. None of the catalogs that I have or other sources list this super model.

The S-20 model in the catalogs is a Bass Trombone with completely different specs.

Does anybody have information on this version of the Olds Super?
BGuttman

Re: Olds Super S-20?

Post by BGuttman »

It looks just like the Olds SuperStar.

Note that Olds originally called everything with an F-attachment a "bass", including the Ambassador I had, which was basically a small bore instrument.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

This is a tenor, not an S20. S20 is TIS, no cranz, no gusseted braces, wider slide, bigger bell, etc. The only similarity with that horn is the flat wrap.

It looks like a Recording R20, but it says Super on the cranz.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Fullerton Super slide (thus the 1958 serial number; note the two-piece brace on the hand slide), LA Super bell, with the balance being from a Recording. It's always possible that it's something put together at the factory using a bell that they had laying around, but it's more likely that it's a parts horn put together by a tech.

Probably actually plays reasonably well, though I'd rather have the larger bore Recording slide to pair with an f-attachment bell section.

I've got something similar put together using an A-20 with a Super bell and a Recording slide. Haven't played it much, though.

Return to “Instruments”