Holton TR-181 opinions

sacfxdx

Holton TR-181 opinions

Post by sacfxdx »

Lets open a new can of worms. I am looking at a 1986 Holton TR-181 bass trombone. This will be my first bass. Price is around 2K and its in great shape. No mods. One owner.

what do y'all think?

Thanks for your input
Steve
Burgerbob

Re: Holton TR-181 opinions

Post by Burgerbob »

Too expensive, and IMO not great horns.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

A lot of people like the 181, but I never warmed to them. They don't seem to have the same character of the other Holton basses. They go from $1000 - 1800 at the high and low.

If you can't try it first, then make sure you get a good price so you can sell it without losing too much money.

You don't have to treat it like it's the only horn you'll ever buy, especially if you don't live near a musical hub with a lot of instruments you can just go and try. Sometimes you have to buy and sell to figure out what you like.
Backbone

Post by Backbone »

Have you tried it? Have you compared it to other basses? You will get both positive and negative comments about this horn. Lots of positive in the Bass Trombone Appreciation Society on Facebook:

I own one and I like it. I have made modifications to it though and it is much better now than when it was stock. Also, I got mine for a fraction of what yours is going for.
Specialk3700

Post by Specialk3700 »

I used to have one. Not bad horns, I really liked the sound, but I found it a difficult instrument to play in general. I wouldn't pay $2,000 for one.
Engineering student with a trombone problem.
Edwards B454
Shires Bravo
Yamaha 354
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I have tried a few but did not like them enough to buy. I think the dependent cousin, the Holton TR-180 plays a lot better on the valves. You could try other brands too. There are many good used horns out there that people want to sell.

/Tom
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

Thanks everyone for your input.
Steve

Return to “Instruments”