Vintage Conn - Advice

rchalk2

Vintage Conn - Advice

Post by rchalk2 »

All - I previously posted about my deceased father's two Holton trombones and King Liberty collection. I totally forgot about this old Conn signed by Christian Lindberg (we're Swedish). Imgur link for pictures:

When I first received it, I knew it was really old and had a couple experts help out with trying to see what it was. Their likely thought was that the bell was circa 1900 and slide is possibly circa 1888+ from the Worchester period. Those were assumptions based on pictures, and they weren't super sure that they were correct since they couldn't see it physically and records from that time are spotty.

I would like to know if anybody in this awesome community could shed any light on this instrument, if possible. Also, is there any value to it? As with the others, I can't play trombone and just want these instruments to be in a good home for a reasonable price. The good home being most important.

Super appreciate any assistance!
paulyg

Re: Vintage Conn - Advice

Post by paulyg »

Look up Steve Dillon of Dillon Music. Send him these photos. He will be able to give you a better value for this than anyone on here.

This Conn looks like it could be from the VERY EARLY years of C.G. Conn's business. While probably not playable (at least professionally), these are collectable. These were hand-built by C.G. Conn in the back room of his general store, if I recall correctly.

https://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/resou ... al-numbers

^The above source puts this instrument in the very first year of production for Conn instruments- I'm not sure if this reflects the move to the Elkhart factory, or one of the backroom deals I mentioned previously. Again, contact Steve Dillon.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
rchalk2

Post by rchalk2 »

paulyg wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:52 am Look up Steve Dillon of Dillon Music. Send him these photos. He will be able to give you a better value for this than anyone on here.

This Conn looks like it could be from the VERY EARLY years of C.G. Conn's business. While probably not playable (at least professionally), these are collectable. These were hand-built by C.G. Conn in the back room of his general store, if I recall correctly.

https://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/resou ... al-numbers

^The above source puts this instrument in the very first year of production for Conn instruments- I'm not sure if this reflects the move to the Elkhart factory, or one of the backroom deals I mentioned previously. Again, contact Steve Dillon.
Funny enough it was Steve that I originally spoke with! He's the one who provided me the estimates of production year, etc. Don't recall if we spoke about value, will have to reach out again.
sf105

Post by sf105 »

Also, Noah at Brassark has been helpful to me in the past.
rchalk2

Post by rchalk2 »

sf105 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:03 pm Also, Noah at Brassark has been helpful to me in the past.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll send him a note!

Return to “Instruments”