Getzen 1047FR

harrisonreed

Getzen 1047FR

Post by harrisonreed »

Anyone know about the design of this horn? I am playing on one occasionally now, and it is really pretty, but I was wondering about some of the design choices. Before I get into what I noticed, I like that the horn is extremely well built, sounds good, has partials that line up pretty well, has a wonderful resonance that you can actually feel in your hands coming through the horn, and that it blows well through the whole range.

The design is interesting! The bell looks like straight up red brass. Flare is definitely two piece, like an 88H bell, and unsoldered. The tuning slides, F tubing, and neckpipe are also the same red brass. The slide is narrow. Maybe even Conn 88H level narrow. Yellow brass leadpipe. The most interesting thing to me was that the outer slide tubes are yellow brass without the usual nickel outer sleeve section where your right hand goes. Looks like a nickel 88H style end crook. Nothing fancy with the valve, but it's got a great blow on both sides, and the slick "almost Minick" open wrap.

What is this horn? It's it similar to an 88H? If so, it blows the socks off of my own Conn. Is it similar to the Bousfield model? Why are more people not playing these Getzen Eternas? The price is really quite good, and the buikd quality looks to be 100% as good as Edwards is.
tbonesullivan

Re: Getzen 1047FR

Post by tbonesullivan »

Might want to just shoot off an email to Getzen to see if you can find out why. The 1047F is pretty much all Yellow Brass, with a soldered bead. As for bells, Getzen / Edwards only make 2 piece bells with a brazed seam, just like the old 88H Horns. The newer ones use a welded seam, but are still two piece.

I seem to recall only the bell was red brass, but now I see on their website: "8 ½", 22 gauge red brass with unsoldered rim, red brass branches and red brass bows"
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
KRRath

Post by KRRath »

The 1047F is yellow brass while the 1047FR is red brass. I have the latter and it plays really well, but I have a hard time keeping it under control at high volumes. I use mine as a backup for my Edwards though they are very different horns.
I've heard more than one person say the 1047FR plays like an Elkhart 88H.
Kevin R.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

KRRath wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:57 pm The 1047F is yellow brass while the 1047FR is red brass. I have the latter and it plays really well, but I have a hard time keeping it under control at high volumes. I use mine as a backup for my Edwards though they are very different horns.
I've heard more than one person say the 1047FR plays like an Elkhart 88H.
That screams 88H

Return to “Instruments”