Vintage Collection - Advice

rchalk2

Vintage Collection - Advice

Post by rchalk2 »

Hi Everybody,

My father recently passed, but shortly prior he passed along his instrument collection to me. Part of the collection, among other interesting instruments, are 3 trombones that I think might be old/rare or of higher quality. To my Dad's and Grandpa's sadness I never picked up the trombone, so therefore I'm kind of flying blind here.

There are three imgur links below, for each of the trombones. I would like to sell these, at a reasonable price to a good home but not sure how/where to start. Should I list these in the classifieds here? I'm also in the Dallas area if there are any local shops you guys recommend.

Sincerely appreciate your help.

paulyg

Re: Vintage Collection - Advice

Post by paulyg »

Neat horns!

Do not accept less than $1200 for the TR-158.

Do not accept less than $2,500 for the TR-180.

Do not accept less than $800 for the king.

Those are ballpark numbers- the buyer might get a bit of a deal, you might get a bit of a deal, but nobody's getting conned at those prices. There are reputable forum members who will be great to deal with should you choose to sell them on the classifieds section.

Ebay is an option, and you may get top dollar there, but try your luck here first. You should also have no problem finding a relatively local buyer if you can wait for a while- advertising here will help with that.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Also, don't show the whole serial number in any of the photos. That might invite trouble.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

NICE HORNS. Definitely all pro quality, and desirable. Looks like they were all well taken care of, and worked on by pros. They have amado water keys installed.

I'm also pretty sure that the TR180 has had the trigger split, which definitely adds to the value. I would look on the levers for the valves to see if there are any markings on them, as some techs would stamp their names on levers they made.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
SaigonSlide

Post by SaigonSlide »

Is that Jiggs Whighams autograph on the 2b?
rchalk2

Post by rchalk2 »

paulyg wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:51 pm Neat horns!

Those are ballpark numbers- the buyer might get a bit of a deal, you might get a bit of a deal, but nobody's getting conned at those prices. There are reputable forum members who will be great to deal with should you choose to sell them on the classifieds section.

Ebay is an option, and you may get top dollar there, but try your luck here first. You should also have no problem finding a relatively local buyer if you can wait for a while- advertising here will help with that.
Awesome feedback, thank you so much! Listing here absolutely makes sense in my mind, I want these to go to a good home as they were very important to my father.
rchalk2

Post by rchalk2 »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:39 am Also, don't show the whole serial number in any of the photos. That might invite trouble.
Great advice, thank you. Didn't think of that..
rchalk2

Post by rchalk2 »

tbonesullivan wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:01 am NICE HORNS. Definitely all pro quality, and desirable. Looks like they were all well taken care of, and worked on by pros. They have amado water keys installed.

I'm also pretty sure that the TR180 has had the trigger split, which definitely adds to the value. I would look on the levers for the valves to see if there are any markings on them, as some techs would stamp their names on levers they made.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll do exactly that and snap some more pics.
rchalk2

Post by rchalk2 »

SaigonSlide wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:13 am Is that Jiggs Whighams autograph on the 2b?
I'll take a better picture tonight, but I'll be darned if that doesn't look like it. Increase value?
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

rchalk2 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:51 amI'll take a better picture tonight, but I'll be darned if that doesn't look like it. Increase value?
Marginally, if at all, unless the horn had at one point been owned by them. Even though Jiggs is known for the 2-B, there are lots of them, and also ones that are specifically marketed as his signature model. The value in these horns is in what they are, not who signed them.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
rchalk2

Post by rchalk2 »

tbonesullivan wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:55 pm
rchalk2 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:51 amI'll take a better picture tonight, but I'll be darned if that doesn't look like it. Increase value?
Marginally, if at all, unless the horn had at one point been owned by them. Even though Jiggs is known for the 2-B, there are lots of them, and also ones that are specifically marketed as his signature model. The value in these horns is in what they are, not who signed them.
Makes sense, thanks for the input.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

In my opinion, these prices are quite high. If you follow Paul's advice and not accept less than these amounts, I think you will own these horns for a good while...

The TR180, in particular, is a great horn and has many fans. But I have never seen one go for $2500 (unless it had MINICK stamped on it). $1500-$2000, I would think. TR158? Sub-$1000. King? $500.

Keep in mind that the holiday season is approaching, so selling horns is a bit tougher than it was a few months ago.

**Also, my best advice is to keep the King and learn how to play! Good luck whatever you end up doing.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
rchalk2

Post by rchalk2 »

greenbean wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:04 am

In my opinion, these prices are quite high. If you follow Paul's advice and not accept less than these amounts, I think you will own these horns for a good while...

The TR180, in particular, is a great horn and has many fans. But I have never seen one go for $2500 (unless it had MINICK stamped on it). $1500-$2000, I would think. TR158? Sub-$1000. King? $500.

Keep in mind that the holiday season is approaching, so selling horns is a bit tougher than it was a few months ago.

**Also, my best advice is to keep the King and learn how to play! Good luck whatever you end up doing.
Appreciate the advice, and thank you for the pricing help.

Return to “Instruments”