Olds bass trombone

dxhall

Olds bass trombone

Post by dxhall »

Any opinions on whether this horn would be a good starter bass? Here’s the ebay link (I hope):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Circa-67-68-F- ... 1438.l2649
hyperbolica

Re: Olds bass trombone

Post by hyperbolica »

Yes, it looks like an Olds S23. As long as the valves work well, it should be a fine instrument.

The tuning in the slide will make the slide heavy.

The one you link to is in great condition for a good price.
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

I had one, and the trigger arrangement wasn't that comfortable, but a more "tenor" like sound than a modern horn.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Depends on what you mean by "starter" bass trombone.

Don't let that 10" bell flare fool you. The rest of the horn (leadpipe to bell throat) is small by modern standards (or even by late 1960's standards). Dual bore .554"/.565". Based on the vintage, I would expect this one to have .565" tubing in the attachments. For some people, that smaller size is a plus - it's an easier transition coming from a tenor - but it tends to sound tenor-ish, too. Overcoming that tendency generally ends up being a battle of wills between you and the horn.

Mouthpiece selection can be a challenge; the receiver is just a bit undersize. The Olds 20 they shipped with was kinda 5G-ish. I'd suggest an Olds 21 to start with (if you can find one). Some people use standard large shank mouthpieces with no trouble, others just can't make it work (for them, Doug Elliott is the way to go).
Pre59 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:41 am I had one, and the trigger arrangement wasn't that comfortable...
It's not for everyone. It's similar to the King Duo-Gravis, and we've had more than one debate as to the D-G's linkage.

If you're planning to transition to some other bass trombone down the road, you'll probably need to unlearn/relearn the positions used when both valves are engaged. Almost all modern basses are Bb-F-(Gb)-D; the Olds is Bb-F-E. There's enough pull on the second valve for a good flat-E, but nowhere near enough for a D.

Return to “Instruments”