Help me buy the right Shires bell

Chatname

Help me buy the right Shires bell

Post by Chatname »

New to this forum. Enjoy it very much!
I spent a day reading the whole Shires Q&A thread and learnt a lot; bravo to Ben Griffin and Gabe Langfur! Inspiring!

Some ten years back I purchased a Shires tenor slide. Dual bore 25-47, light weight yellow brass, wide nickel crook (TW2547LW). I had some intended use for it that didn’t happen, but would like that to change. So I need to get a bell section, and I’m thinking a straight one, no valve. I am too far away from anywhere I could try different options.
By the way, I have a Shires .500 7YLW 7.75” with nickel slide that is a fantastic instrument, so I suppose 7YLW 8,5” could work really well even with the dual bore..?
However I don’t have a red bell and I like their slightly Germanic sound.Any advice about one that would work in combination with this slide? 2RVE? 7R? In light weight?
Could that work or would it be a strange playing horn?

Any suggestion about what kind of bell could work well with this slide is welcome!
paulyg

Re: Help me buy the right Shires bell

Post by paulyg »

If you want a Germanic sound, stick with red/gold, as opposed to yellow. A 9 inch bell would mate with the dual-bore slide to produce a very German combination (smaller dual-bore slide, huge bell). The lightest bell possible would also be in order. Gold brass bell and tuning slide would be in the German tradition.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Why not contact the factory directly and ask their opinion? I can't speak for shires, but when I contact the Edwards factory they are very generous with their knowledge and time.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I have a 2RVET7 that I use with a similar 2547 slide. Yellow, seamed tuning slide. I love the sound of it. Not too big not too small really quite versatile. 8.5" bell works well but I would like to try an 8" at some point. I'm sure a 9" bell would be cool too but you might be surprised how broad the 8.5" bell is. The seamed tuning slide gives it a touch more depth as well, or at least it does for me.
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

Thanks, great input!
I’m sort of waiting for a reply from the factory as well...
So seamed tuning slide sounds very interesting, are they usually yellow brass? Or, considering Paul suggesting gold brass, has anyone experience with seamed gb tuning slide?
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Chatname wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:21 pm Thanks, great input!
I’m sort of waiting for a reply from the factory as well...
So seamed tuning slide sounds very interesting, are they usually yellow brass? Or, considering Paul suggesting gold brass, has anyone experience with seamed gb tuning slide?
I've had all 4 combinations. (No X though, although I've tried them). I prefer the seamed over the drawn on pretty much every horn I've had. Not sure why. Seems to project better and have a little more broadness to the sound, although it doesn't limit my brightness at all. YMMV, of course. I'm a very bright player so my preferences tend to be things that are on the "broader" side of that spectrum.
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

I see almost no references anywhere to 7R or 7RLW. This surprises me, since the 7Y is so highly successful. Why, does this bell work less well in red brass? I’m curious because I really like the small 7YLW I use. Anyone who has tried the 7R or some variant of the 7 with a red bell?
Anyway, the 2RVET7 seems the best way to go for me, considering it’s a popular bell (which should mean it has really good playing characteristics) and that you Matt find it works so well together with a slide similar to mine. And do I remember correctly that you switch between small and large shank leadpipe on it?
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

2RVET7 would be my first thought with the dual bore light slide. I think it’d be a nice combination. It’s quite a bit heavier than a true German-style bell, but it’d get you some of that flavor.

I do have one I’m interested in selling, although my recommendation is genuine! PM me if interested.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

You will get a million personal responses here. Only you can make the decision.
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

I would be very happy to get a million responses.
At the time when I got serious about playing there was this polarity between Conn and Bach; I used to think I could only play Bachs. Then I gradually discovered that I can play other equipment, given some or much adaptation time. I am not very special; if a specific custom trombone is popular and in high regard, it is likely that I could learn to play and enjoy it as well.
So I’m interested in other people’s experiences. You’re absolutely right, in the end it’s my decision. I will not make it solely based upon the input of this thread. And I guess that was exactly your point!😊
Last edited by Chatname on Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

Chatname wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:13 am I see almost no references anywhere to 7R or 7RLW. This surprises me, since the 7Y is so highly successful. Why, does this bell work less well in red brass? I’m curious because I really like the small 7YLW I use. Anyone who has tried the 7R or some variant of the 7 with a red bell?
Anyway, the 2RVET7 seems the best way to go for me, considering it’s a popular bell (which should mean it has really good playing characteristics) and that you Matt find it works so well together with a slide similar to mine. And do I remember correctly that you switch between small and large shank leadpipe on it?
I'm playing something similar- a 7RXLWT8, and switched from a 7YLW. The 7YLW is a great all around bell that I thought had no real downsides to it. I moved to the red bell because the sound is much closer to what I hear in my head, while still retaining alot of what I liked about the yellow.

It being red and super lightweight however, makes the bell like driving a very fast car in city traffic. If I push the gas, it really wants to get bright earlier in the spectrum than a heavier or more yellow bell. For me, adding a counterweight and a metal berp (even though I don't use it to buzz, just to add weight) really help calm down the bell and solidify the slots.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I left for Hopedale expecting to get something like a 78H/79H.

I came back with a 1GM. The VE bells really didn’t suit me at all.

But, they’re all pretty good. I don’t think you can go too far wrong with any Shires combo.
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

Mv2541: What does the X in 7RXLWT8 stand for? Is it extra light weight?
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

The 7YLW and 2RVET7 are proven over and over by many, many players. Hard to go wrong with either.

One more option you might want to try, though, is the Ralph Sauer bell (which Ralph plays with a .525-.547 dual bore slide). Lightweight red brass with a detachable flare, and I think it's a type 7.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Chatname wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:07 am Mv2541: What does the X in 7RXLWT8 stand for? Is it extra light weight?
Yeah,

Type 7 bell
Red brass
eXtra Light Weight
T8 Treatment

Return to “Instruments”