Am I asking too much?

BillO

Am I asking too much?

Post by BillO »

Just looking for some advice here.

I've been trying to sell my Shires trombone for some time and have not even had any tire kickers. The kit includes a 7YLW bell (7.5/10), a 2REV bell (9+/10), rotary valve (8.5/10), straight neck-pipe (9+/10), X tuning slide (9+/10), TW47 slide with some lacquer loss at the hand contact areas but has fantastic action (7/10), and 4 leadpipes (1.5L, 2, 3, 3S). I've had it listed for the equivalent of $3,650 USD. Is that way too much? :?:
hyperbolica

Re: Am I asking too much?

Post by hyperbolica »

That's a very specific combination of stuff. Almost 2 horns worth. Everybody might be better served if you offer it parted out or in 1 trombone sized packages.

As a package it doesn't look overpriced, but it has more than a horns worth of stuff which might turn people away.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I recently bought a Shires bell, nice shape, $650; and a Shires .547 slide, excellent condition, $650. I figure maybe $900 for a valve section, $250 for a tuning slide (I already had these but I can’t remember what I paid). So ~$2500. The extra bell and straight neck pipe takes you into the low $3K range.
Last edited by Bach5G on Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
mfellows821

Post by mfellows821 »

When I buy and sell I xpect to buy a normal Shires for $2000 and sell it for about $2400 or so. The extra parts might raise the value $500 - If you really want it sold, put it on Ebay starting around $2000 and the auction process will set the selling price where the market says it should be. Take good pictures!!!!! A picture is worth a thousand words!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Think about your customer a bit. You may get lucky and someone has around 4k to spend on a bunch of untested Shires parts, but you might not.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I think selling the components is the way to go. Yes, it is more work - more communication and more shipping - but a more effective way to move it.

And Yes to good photos.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
castrubone

Post by castrubone »

I would sell one of the bells separately and sell the rest as a complete instrument
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

Is the slide really "fantastic" if you're describing it as a 7/10?

I know that if I had $3600 to drop on a new main axe, I'd want something that was going to be a screaming deal for $3600- which this really isn't. There aren't many people who are going to want two bells, and even fewer who are going to pay extra for them. Maybe try selling them separately? I'd try to get rid of the 2RVE independently, the other bell might help the horn sell better...

Selling stuff is fun, because you never know what something's worth until you've sold it. Nobody's getting ripped off if they buy your horn at this price... but you certainly wouldn't be getting ripped off if you re-evaluated how important it was for you to get "full price," vs. selling the horn quicker. Just try and pick a price you're happy with. Both sides should be happy with a sale, so think about what amount of cash you'd rather have, than this horn sitting in your closet.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

mfellows821 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:10 am When I buy and sell I xpect to buy a normal Shires for $2000 and sell it for about $2400 or so. The extra parts might raise the value $500 - If you really want it sold, put it on Ebay starting around $2000 and the auction process will set the selling price where the market says it should be. Take good pictures!!!!! A picture is worth a thousand words!
Seems about right to me. Although fonding a Shires in great condition for 2000 ain't easy.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
BillO

Post by BillO »

Thanks guy's for all you input. I'll revise my tactics.

Strange thing is, I also tried to sell my King 4B for $800 and again nobody even called about it. I decided to take it to a music shop (L & M) to trade it in on a Yamaha keyboard. I figured they'd give me like $500 for it, but I needed the keyboard and was willing to take the hit. However, they gave me $1050 for it. More than the keyboard cost, and apparently sold it 4 days later for $1500. Go figure.
paulyg wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:13 pm Is the slide really "fantastic" if you're describing it as a 7/10?
I rate it that way because of the lacquer wear. It 'looks' 7/10, but yes, the action is top drawer. Maybe I put too much weight on aesthetics but some folks are like that and I'd rather a buyer be pleasantly surprised than dissapionted.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Dillon Music will sell it on consignment. I forget exactly what percentage they take, but it is pretty reasonable and they can get a little better price than what you get selling privately. I sold a horn through them and it was really easy.
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

Brass Ark, Brass Exchange, Baltimore Brass.....they have consignment options. I once sold a trombone on consignment at a repair shop. It sold relatively quickly and I got what I was asking for it. The shop made a few bucks too. Have you tried Craigslist or Letgo? I hate shipping stuff so when I have the option I try to avoid it. Even if you sell it for a few hundred less it would still be better than paying for shipping as well as the hassle of boxing it up, etc in my opinion. If you know any private lesson studios in the area it might be a good option to find some students looking to get a better horn. I traded 3 horns to Dillon music a few years back and it was a pretty smooth process. It was not monetarily to my advantage, but smoother than dealing with a bunch of buyers.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I feel like Shires isn't as "trendy" as it used to be. You are likely asking too much. Have someone like Brass ark sell it for you.
BillO

Post by BillO »

I should have mentioned, I am in Canada - about 2 hours north of Toronto, so your suggestions about consignment are not open to me. I did have it with a brass tech (Ron Parch) in Toronto for nearly a year on consignment, but the same effect. No interest. In fact, Ron had suggested the pricing.

I'm going to reduce the expectations, kit it as a whole trombone and sell the extra parts separately. PITA, but that's life.

Just seems the brand has lost it's luster. Even the folks at Long & Mcquade are not interested in it as they can't get rid of their existing inventory of new items.

It's not that it's a bad instrument, quite the contrary. But it's not any better (at my pay scale anyway) than the Jupiter XO 1236 I have, which I end up playing a lot more.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

If you parted it entirely out, on this forum, and sold everything as individual parts, you might get pretty close to the number you want.

You'd have to be very careful about charging properly for shipping and handling. It's easy to lose on shipping.

PITA, but you'd probably get pretty close
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

There might be complications shipping from Canada to the US as well. There’s a limit - around $2700 US - where it gets a bit more complicated.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Me? I would part it out. First take good photos of each component. Then pack them up so you have exact weights and dimensions and can get proper shipping quotes.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Amconk

Post by Amconk »

I for one would be interested in the straight neck pipe if you decide to part it out.

Michael
Michael Conkey
Southern Oregon Trombonist

-Besson Be944 Sovereign with Hagmann
-Holton TR-140 “monster” valve
-Modified Schiller 7B clone
-King 4B with custom bell
-Jin Bao Alto
Leanit

Post by Leanit »

Depends on the buyer and if he's got time/money to experiment. I bought a pile of Edwards stuff with two slides, two bells, and three tuning crooks. It was more stuff than anybody needed, but I found the combination that worked for me. The idea now is to sell off the stuff I don't need. I'll end up with a "custom" horn for a good deal. But some buyers won't have the extra $1000+ for a pile of things they'll just have to resell.
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

It looks like a good deal to me based on all the stuff you are including. I would list for sale a complete instrument and then list all the extra parts separately. List it here and I've also had really good luck with the "trombone marketplace" group on facespace. Mailing it to Dillon music on consignment isn't a bad idea, but you'll get more for it selling it yourself.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Consignment is a good idea. I've had really good experiences with Noah Gladstone on Brassark in that regard. Dillons has also been great to work with in the past, although they are more hands-off than Noah is.

Return to “Instruments”