Help ID a Vintage Getzen

maxeyd

Help ID a Vintage Getzen

Post by maxeyd »

Picked up this vintage Getzen Super Deluxe on Facebook Marketplace but having a hard time pinpointing a date. Serial number on the bell section is just 47140 (no 1- prefix and no letters in front of it). All I can find on the slide is "15" Any help would be appreciated!

phil2245

Re: Help ID a Vintage Getzen

Post by phil2245 »

I have a Super Deluxe that I bought (used) in 1972 with the same color scheme (tri-color) and unique design including the 'weight' at the rear of the tuning slide as your horn. Mine has a 5-digit serial number at the top of the forward bell brace (92153) and a two-digit number just like yours on the same place on the slide (mine is 28). I also have a Super Deluxe valve trombone - that bell has no serial number but the valve section also has a 5-digit serial number (93725). Both instruments have their original cases and they are the light green triangular cases with the hard clear plastic handle. I'm told that there was a fire at the factory in 1963 and serial number records were lost. The Super Deluxe slide trombone was my very first trombone and in 1972 it was fairly well used - I would guess from the late 1950's or early 1960's from its condition and the case design. The exact age may be a little difficult to determine.
Vegastokc

Re: Help ID a Vintage Getzen

Post by Vegastokc »

I just bought a Super Deluxe also! (serial number 82XXX) :good:
Mine has the Cuper-temp copper bell with the straight braces (like yours).
Dating the old Getzens is a complete guess. I do not think even Getzen knows for sure. :D
I also have a 50 Deluxe, all brass serial 31XXX.
My guesses are:
Early 50's for my 50 Deluxe; maybe 1954ish?
My Super maybe 1959/1960?

So @maxeyd: my very non-professional, non-certified guess is maybe 1955-1956ish? :idk:

@phil2245: your horns are near the highest serials I have seen so maybe closer to 60-62?
I do not think they hit 6 digits before the fire but I could be completely wrong. :?

Again, I am completely guessing.
Its a fun conversation though.
These older Getzens are funky little horns with odd quirks like the slide locks, the really wide span between the two hand slide braces, and of course the hex bar water keys.
I bought my Super mostly for that wedge case and copper bell. :)
Looking forward to getting my Super back from the shop and giving it a whirl.
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...

Return to “Instruments”