I just found out my horn was owned by a LEGEND

imsevimse

I just found out my horn was owned by a LEGEND

Post by imsevimse »

I just found out somehing amazing about a horn of mine. It concerns my Olds P-24G. I have just found out after have spoken to the wife of the second owner of that horn it had a secret. She, who also happens to be a very good flute player said that the horn I bought from her husband about a year ago once was the properly of Erik van Lier. Erik van Lier is one of my trombone heroes.

I played this weekend in a Wind Orchestra with this flute player. Her husband asked her to give me this information since he now know I'm a collector and I therefore have an interest in facts like this. I learnt the horn was collected in Hamburg at the time they where doing a multi track brass recording with only four brass players. Alan Botchinsky, Derik Watkins and the two brothers Burt and Erik van Lier. They simulated a full part brass ensamble and banjo with four trumpets, four trombones, french horns and tuba. The french horn sounds were done on trombones with a mute. They banjo player was done with trumpets in straight mutes. I think the record was called "First Brass". I can't check now since I'm not at home but I have the record and it is a favourite. [Edit:just found the record on Internet]

The last owner went to Hamburg exclusively at that time when they where recording to meet Mr van Lier and buy that trombone from him. I'm now real amazed and excited to be the third owner of his interesting horn. The owner before me is another professional bass trombone player (Swedish) who toured with James Last where Derik Watkins also was a member. This makes the horn double interesting.

I got this information yesterday and this bass trombone has now quickly become a horn with great sentimental value to me. I have now another excuses to play this horn. (First is it's a good horn).

I remember I have read that Erik van Lier said he played an inline horn with the second valve alone in D, and this is what this horn is, a Bb/F/D/C horn. I thought it was a Conn 73H he had modified because I know he played a 73H too, but it is more likely this horn he was talking about. From memory I think he tuned Bb/F/Db/B.

/Tom
Last edited by imsevimse on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
baileyman

Re: I just found out my horn was owned by a LEGEND

Post by baileyman »

Very cool. It's often been said a great way to find a good horn is to get one from a pro you admire. It's as if he picks it out for you! Twice in my closet that has been great advice.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I had an Edwards bell for a while that had previously belonged to Collin Williams. FWIW, I'm sure the bell hated being played by me after being played by him.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Mikebmiller wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:23 am I had an Edwards bell for a while that had previously belonged to Collin Williams. FWIW, I'm sure the bell hated being played by me after being played by him.
It is cool to know the history of the instrument, at least to me it adds some sentimental value Not enough to make me pay a higher price or to give it a higher resell value but for the sentiment. It has nothing to do with money.

I have other instruments too with history. They were owned by great Swedish trombone players.
- A King 2b Silver Sonic that was owned by great jazz player Vincent Nilsson.
- A Conn 6h owned by Miff Görling, a jazz player from the 30ies.
- A Benge 190C owned by my friend the late Jörgen Johansson who was both a jazz and a classical player. He played with the old Harry Arnold Band and the Swedish Radio Symphony orchestra.
- A Bach 50b that was owned and played by my friend Sven Larsson for many years. Sven is a Legend on bass trombone in Sweden, at least for players my age.

/Tom
islander

Post by islander »

Erik's one of my trombone heroes too. He was part of one of the best bone sections in all jazz, in just the most incredible big bands of all, the Kenny Clarke-Francy Boland Big Band. Was honoured to meet him in the Netherlands 5 years ago.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

islander wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:04 pm Erik's one of my trombone heroes too. He was part of one of the best bone sections in all jazz, in just the most incredible big bands of all, the Kenny Clarke-Francy Boland Big Band. Was honoured to meet him in the Netherlands 5 years ago.
Yes, that's where I found out about him in the first place. Åke Persson on first and Nat Pec on second, Erik van Lier on Bass. That was a great trombone section :good:

/Tom

Return to “Instruments”