Conn 88H (current) leadpipes

Bach5G

Conn 88H (current) leadpipes

Post by Bach5G »

Does anyone know what pipe comes in the standard Conn 88H slide?
greenbean

Re: Conn 88H (current) leadpipes

Post by greenbean »

S (standard)
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I found this on Horn Guys site:

S. .547” Large
Standard large shank receiver and taper designed for traditional response characteristics. This is the stock pipe on fixed mouthpipe Conn 88H trombones. For SL4747 and SL4762 slides.

M .547” Large
Standard large shank receiver and longer taper designed for less resistance. This is the John Marcellus pipe, which is more open than the S pipe. For SL4747 and SL4762 slides.

—-

And follow up questions: has anyone experimented with pulling the standard pipe and trying other pipes? How much difference does using the Marcellus lead pipe make in the .547 slide with removable leadpipes?

I’m thinking that a leadpipe change might improve the response and breadth of sound of my 88HTO or, at least, I’d like to give it a try.
castrubone

Post by castrubone »

The different leadpipes do change the feel/sound considerably. Any good tech should be able to pull the leadpipe and you can order the spare pipes fairly cheaply...or you can avoid the surgery and buy a whole new SL4747 slide that comes w/3 interchangeable leadpipes (I have a used one for sale in the classifieds).

If you're after more breadth, the M pipe definitely achieves that. Adds some stability and weight as well. I'd also try the R "remington" pipe. I found it to be the most open option, although maybe less stable than the M.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The R "Remington" pipe is really meant for a specific shank mouthpiece. The Conn Remington series of mouthpieces, and Doug Elliott makes Remington shanks too, if you have an old Remington taper 88H and want to use the original pipe.

I don't know when it switched over to Morse taper, but before a certain year, all 88Hs had the R taper pipe in them.

Most large bore mouthpieces will wobble around in it because the taper is different. I think the results would be, maybe like you say, unstable, with a morse taper piece.

Return to “Instruments”