S.E Shires T47 w/ yellow brass end crook vs. T47 w/ nickel silver end crook

AWDeDalis

S.E Shires T47 w/ yellow brass end crook vs. T47 w/ nickel silver end crook

Post by AWDeDalis »

Hello all,

I am considering purchasing an S.E Shires T47 slide as opposed to my current TW47 slide. I had a chance to play a T47 at this year's I.T.F and was really impressed with the playability. The only problem is that the vendor only had a T47 slide with a yellow brass end crook. It was really hard to not buy it then and there but I was really curious as to how the slide with the nickel crook would behave with my current setup. I am hoping that somebody has had the chance to test these two models side-by-side and is willing to share their experiences with me (and the community). For example, did it dramatically change the sound or blow going between the two? Did one hold up better at louder/softer dynamics, etc. I understand that all of these question are highly subjective and to each his own, but any and all aspects of YOUR experience are greatly appreciated. I will list my current setup if that helps guide your answer. I look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely, Austin DeDalis

S.E Shires Custom Tenor
S.S.Y Bell
TW47 slide w/ nickel silver end crook
#2 yellow brass leadpipe
Tru-bore valve
T.G tuning slide
FEWeathers

Re: S.E Shires T47 w/ yellow brass end crook vs. T47 w/ nickel silver end crook

Post by FEWeathers »

This might be helpful, as Ben Griffin explains the effect different materials has on handslides,

"A yellow handslide crook gives you a little more warmth. It rounds out the articulations more than the nickel silver does..."

DaveA1987

Re: S.E Shires T47 w/ yellow brass end crook vs. T47 w/ nickel silver end crook

Post by DaveA1987 »

It depends on what you're looking to get - Nickel crook has a much faster response time in my experience, so it can feel a little "zippier." That being said, it can also be a little *too* direct and sound harsh. I consider yellow to be a standard trombone sound, so again, it depends what you want and how you play. I think a lot of people think darker sound = better, so nickel might not fit if that's how you feel.

Return to “Instruments”