Woof
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
braymond21

Re: Modified Ambassador?

Post by braymond21 »

I saw that too. Looks like a neat horn but it must be some sort of custom work because I've never seen any wrap like that, especially on an ambassador
Bryce Raymond
Owner/Repair Tech, Raymond Music
https://www.raymondmusic.com
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

No way it's from the 1920s -- there was no Ambassador model then.

Looks like a custom job on a hon that doesn't warrant any "improvements". Lipstick on a pig.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
RConrad

Post by RConrad »

The bends in the wrap make me sad. Kinda looks like whoever did it wanted adjustable tuning though.
Robert C
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

To be fair, in their day, the Ambassador was the student horn of choice like the Yamaha 356 (or whatever model it is) is today. Only the Conn Director seems to have spanned both eras and been competion for both olds and Yamaha. They were good student horns. I'd guess someone rather liked this one and rather than go and buy a new horn had a tech put the F tubing on. Its well thought out and novel but functional - pull with a stop on it, a loop to help you achieve this quickly (maybe while youve still got your lips on the mouthpiece)? Probably no value in it but I'd say from an interst point of view (especially if you collect olds horns) it was collectable. Be interested to know Johns take on it.... Doug
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Yeah that exit port is pretty exotic! If the work was done well, I bet it plays reasonably well. I've thought about picking up the slightly larger version with an F attachment but I like my 356 which is the 500/525 Yamaha with an F attachment. The Olds horn is something like 495/508, but the straight is 485/500(?). If you wanted an inexpensive, small tenor w/ F attachment, this is your chance!
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Not exactly pretty, but someone put a lot of effort into it.

Looks like the original horn was a Fullerton A-15. Pretty small (.485"/.500", 7.5" bell) for an f-attachment.

I remember a handful of horns of this sort (basic student tenors with interesting f-attachments grafted on) being on eBay a few years back. This might be one of them resurfacing.
Last edited by JohnL on Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

Excellent photos showing most of the warts, such as overbuffed bell, sloppy soldering, use of heat shrink tubing, misaligned slide stop, external corrosion, no significant dents. I'd like to see pix of the inner slide. An interesting horn to screw around with if the price doesn't get out of hand. Are you feeling lucky/adventurous?
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau

Return to “Instruments”