George Roberts equipment

imsevimse

Re: George Roberts equipment

Post by imsevimse »

Savio wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:29 pm If you read my posts, what is wrong with what I say? Please read all of them before you answer. What is wrong when Chris say we cant tell what horn it is when we listen GR play? Nobody can? I mention music. Burgerbob; I have never seen you mention that word in all your time here? Why is that? Just curious and no harm ment. Just curious.

Anyway, it seems to be dangerous to mention the name George Roberts. Or to work or practice? Or to listen......time changes……..
Nothing has ever been wrong in your post, Leif. I think you are one reason I'm still here. Whish we could meet sometime :hi:

/Tom
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

WGWTR180 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:38 amUnfortunately John L deleted all of his posts before I could read them so I'm missing that perspective.
There wasn't much perspective to be missed; I posted a fairly lengthy set of references to the information from Olds catalogs (all of which are , mentioned an anecdote about George's leadpipe (you can see that in other's posts) and a made request for additional info regarding another member's post.

But as soon as this (in and of itself innocent) post
FOSSIL wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:35 am Think about this....
He always sounded the same....
You cannot tell what he is playing on.

Chris
was made, I knew where the thread would go. Being neither a trombonist nor a music educator by trade, I make it a policy to stay out of such discussions.
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

Ok folks, I'm the OP and asked the original question because I was curious about the chronology of GR's equipment. That's all, just curious.
As a follow up question I am also curious as to why he changed equipment? His decision making process would be interesting. Does anyone have any knowledge of that?
I've read a couple of interviews he did, but does not talk about it.
GBP

Post by GBP »

bigbandbone wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:11 pm Ok folks, I'm the OP and asked the original question because I was curious about the chronology of GR's equipment. That's all, just curious.
As a follow up question I am also curious as to why he changed equipment? His decision making process would be interesting. Does anyone have any knowledge of that?
I've read a couple of interviews he did, but does not talk about it.
I wonder if the reason that musicians change equipment is the same as athletes; a better endorsement deal.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Who doesn’t like new, free stuff?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

When you make your living playing trombone it will wear out over time. When you have worn out your axe you need to look at what's available. Maybe that Olds isn't available any more, or it isn't like what it used to be.

Another reason is that sometimes the sound tastes change and a horn that was good 20 years ago doesn't meet modern requirements.

Unfortunately we cant ask George any more :(
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Yeah, as he said in his article, every time he switched horns, it was basically switching to the exact same kind of setup, but newer and that usually means the slide is better. He also basically stayed on the same mouthpiece, just made by different people. I think it's got less to do with endorsement and greed and more to do with someone like Zig, who you are friends with, saying "hey man, I'd love to build you a horn you'd love. We can put your name on it."

And you go, "yeah, that sounds cool"

And you wind up with the same kind of setup, maybe with better bracing and less torsion, and a brand new slide.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Someone told me once that George would play anything that was offered to him. Whatever that's worth. Nice to be thought of for sure.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

JohnL wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:41 am
WGWTR180 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:38 amUnfortunately John L deleted all of his posts before I could read them so I'm missing that perspective.
There wasn't much perspective to be missed; I posted a fairly lengthy set of references to the information from Olds catalogs (all of which are , mentioned an anecdote about George's leadpipe (you can see that in other's posts) and a made request for additional info regarding another member's post.

But as soon as this (in and of itself innocent) post

Chris
was made, I knew where the thread would go. Being neither a trombonist nor a music educator by trade, I make it a policy to stay out of such discussions.
John didn't know you weren't a trombonist. I can tall you that there is a thought out there that equipment has very little to do with what one sounds like. You basically sound the same on whatever instrument you play. I guess one either believes it or they don't. If you don't know Chris(Fossil) he's a very level headed and clear thinking musician. To quote a insurance commercial here in the US "he knows a thing or two because he's seen a thing or two."
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I don't think Chris was entirely wrong, but it was a pretty unhelpful comment on this particular thread. I think that's a good topic for another discussion.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

WGWTR180 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:00 pmJohn didn't know you weren't a trombonist.
Ah, the vagaries of the English language...
Oh, I play trombone, but I do not do so professionally (or even semi-professionally, truth be told). Don't have a music degree, either, nor any training in pedagogy. The university I attended didn't even have a trombone instructor, let alone a trombone studio.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:10 pm I don't think Chris was entirely wrong, but it was a pretty unhelpful comment on this particular thread. I think that's a good topic for another discussion.
I disagree that it was unhelpful. It was just an opinion that added to the discussion. read it-move on.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

JohnL wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:15 pm
WGWTR180 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:00 pmJohn didn't know you weren't a trombonist.
Ah, the vagaries of the English language...
Oh, I play trombone, but I do not do so professionally (or even semi-professionally, truth be told). Don't have a music degree, either, nor any training in pedagogy. The university I attended didn't even have a trombone instructor, let alone a trombone studio.
Sorry John. You were clear. I was tired. :weep:
Savio

Post by Savio »

Chris
GabeLangfur wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:52 am Let's please lay off the lectures to people who just love trombones and trombonists and are curious about all aspects of the instrument.
Gabe, you disappoint me. Its you which give the lecture here. Not Chris.

Leif
GBP

Post by GBP »

Sometimes people just have to let things go. Especially when the only thing being effected is one’s ego.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Burgerbob wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:06 pm However, it is oh-so-tiring to see the same "equipment doesn't matter, it's entirely the player" comments anytime anyone wants to have a small discussion about equipment. Sometimes, it's valid, when it's a high school player looking to spend $9000 on a Thein, or something XinX that vein.
Sorry, but I think the correct spelling of that word is vain.

:D
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Savio wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:01 pm

Chris
GabeLangfur wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:52 am Let's please lay off the lectures to people who just love trombones and trombonists and are curious about all aspects of the instrument.
Gabe, you disappoint me. Its you which give the lecture here. Not Chris.

Leif
Come on, Leif, I seem to remember you calling Aidan out for talking about equipment instead of music. I was asking a real question of Chris and poking a little fun at the same time. Let's please lighten up.

Return to “Instruments”